Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Linux Kernel Exploit Affecting Linux 3.3 To Linux 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    ok, but seriously...someone should implement a background garbage collector and some meta-error handling in C and C++. That'd get rid of those 'security holes' instantely.
    And replace them with a whole bunch of new ones.

The idea that garbage collection magically solves all your security problems is laughable.

Sometimes when I boot up Linux, look at it and ask myself how it is even possible that such a large amount of C code, cludged together by many different people, just...works.
    i do hope you are not an employee (developer) at something safty relevant.
    That's mostly the time when my XServer decides to forget my graphic card or some other weird thing happens.
    as if c#, java or anything else coded always works 100% perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    And replace them with a whole bunch of new ones.

The idea that garbage collection magically solves all your security problems is laughable.
    I think you're on to something; otherwise, Java would be the most secure software around

Besides, garbage collection is always after data/variables are used; it certainly won't compact a single input that's large enough to cause an overflow on the first pass (which is the issue here).

However, it is worth pointing out that the previous poster also said "...and some meta-error handling...". I think that's the more important part.
    Last edited by Ibidem; 02-28-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Default kernel language

For what it's worth, Windows NT's kernel and OS X's kernel are also written in C.. It really is the best language to write a kernel, because it's very low, but not assembly.
    On the other hand, it's way too low to be optimal to use for anything above kernel.

local user

local

LOCAL

LOCAL

in windows u have to worry about REMOTE

get it fagozors

they should port the whole kernel to C#/.NET. There you got a nice garbage collector and don't have to worry about strange things like pointers and a buffer/memoryoverflow get's a nice exception.

ok, but seriously...someone should implement a background garbage collector and some meta-error handling in C and C++. That'd get rid of those 'security holes' instantely.
    A GC in C++ defeats a large reason for using the language.
    Also, many people just don't want to deal with a GC. Realtime apps still put far too much pressure on modern GC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    local user
    ‏Hint: LAMP.
    Refer to my earlier "remove all doubt" post.

- Gilboa