Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointer Lock Feature Proposed For Wayland

Default Pointer Lock Feature Proposed For Wayland

Phoronix: Pointer Lock Feature Proposed For Wayland

Kristian Høgsberg has proposed patches to Wayland and the Weston compositor for implementing pointer locks. Pointer locks allow for applications to lock the pointer so they receive relative inputs, which can improve the handling of some games running on Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxMjQ

Hah, to me, Wayland just got feature complete . Should not be long before Weston is no longer a reference implementation (I hope).

like my english teacher used to say. if beating you would make you do your work better, I would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Hah, to me, Wayland just got feature complete . Should not be long before Weston is no longer a reference implementation (I hope).
    As a synergy user, I found synergy may have troubles to be implemented on wayland. It seems there is no way to get every pointer motion event.

Writing a plugin maybe a workaround, but I'm not sure there is a standard for plugins of wayland servers.

I am waiting for the day that Kristian (or Pekka or anyone else for the matter) will announce that the protocol has been expanded to accommodate all the desktop stuff and submits the patches.

Quote Originally Posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Writing a plugin maybe a workaround, but I'm not sure there is a standard for plugins of wayland servers.
    The word you're looking for is "protocol extension", and I think it would be very much doable.
    Your compositor of choice would have to implement the extension however.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51
    I am waiting for the day that Kristian (or Pekka or anyone else for the matter) will announce that the protocol has been expanded to accommodate all the desktop stuff and submits the patches.
    The wayland protocol isn't really concerned with such things as "desktop features". That's the responsibility of the shell(-protocol).

Personally, I'm still eagerly waiting for native game/joypad input events =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Personally, I'm still eagerly waiting for native game/joypad input events =)
    Evdev plus friends? With relative pointers, there should be support now already. Don't really know/understand what 'native' implies though.

Evdev plus friends? With relative pointers, there should be support now already. Don't really know/understand what 'native' implies though.
    Yeah, I'm talking about evdev (see Scott's reply to my mail on the ml).
    Basically, currently there is no integration of X11 and gamepad input (AFAIK),
    so to create a gameloop mouse/keyboard/window events have to be polled separately from joypad input,
    which leads to complications if you want to do blocking input calls.

What I'm hoping for with wayland is that a game can get the entirety of its input from one blocking
    libwayland call without code duplication and gamepad detection hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    The word you're looking for is "protocol extension", and I think it would be very much doable.
    Your compositor of choice would have to implement the extension however.
    There are two ways AFAIK
    1. "Protocol Extension": extend the protocol to include such events, so that synergy can work as a wayland client;
    2. "Weston Plugin": load the synergy library as a plugin of weston, so that synergy can work as a wayland server plugin (just like desktop-shell.so)

I prefer the first one however, or synergy needs maintain plugins for each composer. I didn't see the furture that every composer (KWin, Gnome-shell, etc.) is developed as a plugin of weston.

Now I get what this patch is about. I saw it on the mailing list and though it related to C pointers, and some locking-mechanism in the Wayland/Weston code... Couldn't make much sense of it.