Thread: EXT4 File-System Updated For Linux 3.9

Hybrid View

Default EXT4 File-System Updated For Linux 3.9

Phoronix: EXT4 File-System Updated For Linux 3.9

The EXT4 file-system in the forthcoming Linux 3.9 kernel will support using the previously-introduced punch hole functionality for inodes not using extent maps...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxMjk

From the article:
    Hole punching as it pertains to file-systems is marking a portion of a file as being no longer needed and can then be reclaimed.
    I think it's not true.
    Afaik hole punching is about _virtually_ allocating space for a big file but physically only doing so when one is writing to it and only as much as has been written.

E.g. when you create a vmware virtual image of like 10GB for a Linux OS that uses only like 4GB when fully installed you'll actually be using just 4GB on your HDD while the vmware installed image file ".vmdk" claims/thinks it's 10GB.
    This also has some drawbacks, like when the guest OS tries to use the rest of the "free" space while the disk is already full.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    From the article:

I think it's not true.
    Afaik hole punching is about _virtually_ allocating space for a big file but physically only doing so when one is writing to it and only as much as has been written.

E.g. when you create a vmware virtual image of like 10GB for a Linux OS that uses only like 4GB when fully installed you'll actually be using just 4GB on your HDD while the vmware installed image file ".vmdk" claims/thinks it's 10GB.
    This also has some drawbacks, like when the guest OS tries to use the rest of the "free" space while the disk is already full.
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking about sparse files, which ext4 already supports