Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Catalyst woes [FirePro 2270]

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    910

    Default Catalyst woes [FirePro 2270]

    I got a new Dell machine at work today which comes with an AMD FirePro 2270 (512 MB version).

    After installation of Catalyst 13.2 Beta 7 the fglrx kernel module loads properly
    but I'm ending up with this message using aticonfig:

    "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"

    Any ideas?

    Don't tell me this card has already phased out to "legacy"... :/
    Last edited by entropy; 03-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Umm. The firepro series have other drivers.
    Just go to the amd driver site

    step 1 -> Workstation Graphics
    step 2 -> FirePro Performance Pre-WHQL Driver
    step 3 -> FirePro 2270
    step 4 -> whatever Linux architecture you have

    etc. Not that hard.

    PS why did you get a workstation graphics card? Those tend to be more expensive and slower than the consumer cards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    Umm. The firepro series have other drivers.
    Just go to the amd driver site

    step 1 -> Workstation Graphics
    step 2 -> FirePro Performance Pre-WHQL Driver
    step 3 -> FirePro 2270
    step 4 -> whatever Linux architecture you have

    etc. Not that hard.

    PS why did you get a workstation graphics card? Those tend to be more expensive and slower than the consumer cards.
    Thank you. I thought I could just go with Catalyst...

    At work, we can only choose between a small selection of preconfigured Dell offers
    which change from time to time. So I ended up with this configuration (blindly) [Dell Precision T6300]. Actually, it should come with a Nvidia Quadro card.
    Apparently, the old offer was not available any longer and so they "upgraded" it.

    I just found a package in the AUR repositories including kernel patches.
    Let's see. I have a very bad feeling right now...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Oh great, no xorg-server 1.13 support.

    Isn't there a way to run the standard Catalyst on those ASICs?
    I think I can do without the additional FireXXX features.

  5. #5

    Default

    There is a newer looking driver:

    step 1 -> Workstation Graphics
    step 2 -> FirePro Multiview series
    step 3 -> FirePro 2270
    step 4 -> whatever Linux architecture you have

    Maybe...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    There is a newer looking driver:

    step 1 -> Workstation Graphics
    step 2 -> FirePro Multiview series
    step 3 -> FirePro 2270
    step 4 -> whatever Linux architecture you have

    Maybe...
    Unfortunately, this driver from late December does definitely not support xserver 1.13.

    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/catalyst-firepro/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Don't tell me this card has already phased out to "legacy"... :/
    The RV620 chip on that card is the same as on the HD34xx cards, so yes, AMD considers that to be legacy already.
    You either have to buy a newer card or use an older version of your distribution, since AMD thinks that using newer kernels/Xorg is not something you should do with your hardware.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    The RV620 chip on that card is the same as on the HD34xx cards, so yes, AMD considers that to be legacy already.
    You either have to buy a newer card or use an older version of your distribution, since AMD thinks that using newer kernels/Xorg is not something you should do with your hardware.
    The card actually works with Catalyst 13.2 (non-legacy!).
    You simply can't run aticonfig as it exits with "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected".
    It works with Catalyst 13.2 and xserver 1.13 after creating an initial xorg.conf file
    with the aticonfig utility from the firepro drivers gradinaruvasile pointed me to.

    I doubt the ASIC is a HD3xxx but rather one of the lower end HD5xxx ASICs.
    Not sure though.

    Getting rid of the "unsupported watermark" was easy using Kano's script.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-02-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •