Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Linus is back on GNOME

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Can you reshare that link ten times more? It is all you got left. Linus couldnt stand KDE because it is shit. And Otte? Also on gnome. KDE is dead. Hah.
    No, he left gnome, because it was shit. He didn't say same things about KDE that he said about Gnome. KDE is in a very good shape and it's very healthy. Even if Gnome has improved you never know when some idiot will break something once again (like the idiot who broke Nautilus). Furthermore, Ubuntu's Unity is the new Gnome and this one is very usable and newbie friendly. Some of my friends have to use Ubuntu in their jobs, but they didn't even know what Ubuntu is. What's so great about it? They learnt it instantly.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    No, he left gnome, because it was shit. He didn't say same things about KDE that he said about Gnome. KDE is in a very good shape and it's very healthy.
    LoL. He didnt leave gnome or gtk. His last commit at gtk is like three days old.
    http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/com...e805a1560890f1

    Now STFU.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    LoL. He didnt leave gnome or gtk. His last commit at gtk is like three days old.
    http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/com...e805a1560890f1

    Now STFU.
    That's not Linus Torvalds.

    Linus Torvalds uses Qt where it matters (the Linux build system, for example )

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Sorry but you have gone ignorant by the way Qt development works. Everybody knows there is a great barrier between Qts commercial business serving non-desktop customers on non-linux platforms and GTK. People at GTK dont see doing Gnome development as a waste of time. So there are a rather large bunch working "on both sides of the API; gnome and GTK. I suggest you go read the blogs of
    Are you talking about Qt or GTK here? You're all over the place and impossible to understand.

    GTK has one full-time developer and some of the GNOME guys are posting patches too. What exactly is your point? KDE has always been the community desktop, not controlled by any commercial entity. GNOME is developed by a small core of developers, most of them working for RedHat. In fact, GNOME has always been the desktop of big corporations and ambitious startups: Novell, SUN Microsystems, RedHat, Eazel, Helix Code, Ximian, Xamarin, etc.

    Pick whatever you prefer, just stop spreading FUD

    Now I expect proof that Qt is developed by aliens in North Korea....

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    That's not Linus Torvalds.

    Linus Torvalds uses Qt where it matters (the Linux build system, for example )
    And GTK where it matters. Like subsurface a real deal desktop app.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    GTK has one full-time developer and some of the GNOME guys are posting patches too. What exactly is your point?
    Excuse me but you are not able to understand the the basics about the GTK-gnome relationship. Since the GTK-people actually do care about the linux desktop the do BOTH gnome and GTK. WORKING ON BOTH SIDES OF THE API.

    I suggest you go look at who did the lions share of release management for GTK.
    http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/refs/tags

    Yeah thats right; Clasen. A dude you just called "gnome guy". Sorry but he is not just a "gnome guy", he is all over the place ON BOTH SIDES OF THE API. Fully competent and productive at BOTH SIDES(8+ years). Get it? And oh yeah look and see if you can find other familiar names too. I suggested you read the blogs of Larsson and Taylor. They WORK ON BOTH SIDES OF THE API too. Having guys doing this for years and years; You build talent mass. KDEs biggest problem is loosing this kind of talent; Noone at Qt cares for KDE anymore.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 03-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    142

    Default

    What? Linus doesn't use Unity?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Yeah he is not satisfied -yet. Still he prefers GNOME. Which means the alternatives are more SHITTY. LOL!!! So a true story of life: If you are a cool hacker you use GNOME. Because GNOME is the most extendable desktop outthere. PERIOD!!!! Only scriptkiddies, retards and mums use badly done Windows replicas.

    Be cool, be GNOME!
    Linus also uses uemacs as his text editor, may I suggest that you switch to it to be cool and not look like the retarded scripptkiddie mum you talk about?
    By the way, I am neither using a retarded phone UI nor a Windows style UI, so you can save yourself some time with the inevitably following "You are to stupid to learn the new things!!!111!!! Welcome to 2013!!!!1111!!!111".

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephanG View Post
    I really wish people would stop reading so much into it when Linus switches DE's. I switch DE's all the time.

    It doesn't mean that he thinks the DE he's switching to is better, or prefers it. Sometimes, we just want to see what other DE's are doing. And, since he cares about Linux(it's his baby), he probably just feels as though he owes it to try out the big ones every now and then. And, you'll notice that he'll never say anything particularly nice about any DE because that would be showing favouritism.

    So everyone, relax. It doesn't really mean... well, anything. We all like to switch to the other DE's every now and then to see what's going on in that world. It doesn't mean he hates the other DE's, it doesn't mean that he loves the new DE. He's a developer. They're genetically programmed to test-drive different kinds of software.
    STFO U MORON



    The Caliph said Gnome.
    Last edited by moilami; 03-05-2013 at 11:16 AM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Linus also uses uemacs as his text editor, may I suggest that you switch to it to be cool and not look like the retarded scripptkiddie mum you talk about?
    By the way, I am neither using a retarded phone UI nor a Windows style UI, so you can save yourself some time with the inevitably following "You are to stupid to learn the new things!!!111!!! Welcome to 2013!!!!1111!!!111".
    You fail to understand the logic: When Linus decides to try a new DE there will be blood. The left out DE is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMed. At least if it is gnome. And yeah Canonical left gnome-shell because it was DOOOOOOOOOOMed and not because Canonical is making a billion excuses to start new stuff where they can dictate and use CLA.

    Some might call it getting biased, going hyperbole or extrapolate, other just call it was it is: Stupid trash talk on forums for the lesser. But who cares anyway? Linus uses gnome and now all the cool kids does as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •