Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Linus Torvalds Is Back To Using GNOME 3 Desktop

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,652

    Default Linus Torvalds Is Back To Using GNOME 3 Desktop

    Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Is Back To Using GNOME 3 Desktop

    The Linux desktop choices of Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, tends to pique people's interest. Linus has now shared he's switched back to using the GNOME 3.x desktop...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNjc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Default

    So, as you can see, even linus agrees, that all linux des are shit, he just cant decide, which one is less shitty back to windows, thats how it blends ONE desktop to rule them all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    So, as you can see, even linus agrees, that all linux des are shit, he just cant decide, which one is less shitty back to windows, thats how it blends ONE desktop to rule them all.
    *sigh* isn't it great that everyone can has his opinion?

    Also why should it interest anyone what Linus Torvalds uses as long as he does his job and is happy?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Every desktop that has to rely on tweak tools to give people basic functionally seems to be fundamentally flawed.
    Have fun with your extensions they'll no longer work 2-3 iterations from now. Pretty cool especially when extension developers no longer support the extension you need and don't port it to the new gnome shell version.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Just a bunch of nerd celebrity gossip. None of the UI's he's used are perfect. That's why he keeps switching, just like everyone else.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Michael, if someone creates a thread in the forums, then you make an article about it, can you please link the original thread to the comment section instead of creating a new thread about the exact same topic?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Have fun with your extensions they'll no longer work 2-3 iterations from now. Pretty cool especially when extension developers no longer support the extension you need and don't port it to the new gnome shell version.
    Yeah some extensions have reached EOL. So what? Some are obsolete other are simply not that great and ended in the realm of oblivion. Thats fine and a natural dynamic.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    140

    Default

    It makes yout think: Maybe Mitt Romney should have won the last US election becuase now I understand that a flip-flopper can lead a community to greatness.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Every desktop that has to rely on tweak tools to give people basic functionally seems to be fundamentally flawed.
    Have fun with your extensions they'll no longer work 2-3 iterations from now. Pretty cool especially when extension developers no longer support the extension you need and don't port it to the new gnome shell version.
    ah, you mean like the windows desktop which needs third party tweak tool to do basic stuff for theming?

    well, what ever you mean by "basic stuff". i bet you find enough people saying desktop XY is flawed, no matter which one substitutes XY.

    p.s. how i love thus one sentence killer argument for something being totally broken, so broken that no one can actually use it. typical forum bullshit posts, found thousands and thousands every day...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a user View Post
    ah, you mean like the windows desktop which needs third party tweak tool to do basic stuff for theming?

    well, what ever you mean by "basic stuff". i bet you find enough people saying desktop XY is flawed, no matter which one substitutes XY.

    p.s. how i love thus one sentence killer argument for something being totally broken, so broken that no one can actually use it. typical forum bullshit posts, found thousands and thousands every day...
    Ohh well how about selecting what indicators are shown in the panel and moving things from the notification tray (which is horrible) to the panel, because it doesn't belong into the notification tray like Dropbox? Oh wait that's totally radical. No one would ever want to do that. To bad the iconmanager extension was broken several times and it seems the developer is feed up fixing it everytime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •