Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,413

    Default F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

    Phoronix: F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

    Up to this point on Phoronix there have been F2FS benchmarks -- the new Linux file-system designed by Samsung as the Flash-Friendly File-System -- in the context of solid-state storage benchmarking against various other Linux file-systems and also tests done from SDHC storage. In this article are our first tests when benchmarking F2FS from a USB 3.0 flash drive and comparing the performance to other open-source Linux file-systems.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18528

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    Michael, why no FAT or NTFS benchmarks? Really the only filesystems on a traditional USB should be

    FAT (or exFat if its over 4GB), and thats for interoperability
    NTFS if its an external HDD via USB. Again for interoperability.
    Or if you only use Linux...F2FS. (Ext4 if you dont trust F2FS yet.)

    So we're kind of missing 2 out of the 4 filesystems for this >.>

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Michael, why no FAT or NTFS benchmarks? Really the only filesystems on a traditional USB should be

    FAT (or exFat if its over 4GB), and thats for interoperability
    NTFS if its an external HDD via USB. Again for interoperability.
    Or if you only use Linux...F2FS. (Ext4 if you dont trust F2FS yet.)

    So we're kind of missing 2 out of the 4 filesystems for this >.>
    I can't answer for Michael, but I am guessing, it's because main reason of tests is not to show you which one is best, but rather to point at new one, that is specifically designed for Linux in mind with Samsung to support it.

    If Samsung are about to do this for their cameras and stuff - god knows how far standart may go. Since it's open source - it can be ported to Windows. Ext3 already is!(you need to install special driver for that, but you can mount ext3 and prolly ext4 too)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default Fat?

    It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    does anyone know how to format your ssd to f2fs and install root ubuntu on it ?
    would be very nice to see the results of it too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    does anyone know how to format your ssd to f2fs and install root ubuntu on it ?
    would be very nice to see the results of it too.
    Assuming /dev/sda is your SSD with one partition. I gave it '-o 3' since I assume your SSD is at least 32GB (which is pretty big).

    Code:
    mkfs.f2fs -l f2fsonssd -o 3 /dev/sda1
    Start Ubuntu installation in text-mode (server CD) and point it to /dev/sda1 and tell it to use it as '/' (root) without formatting.

    All the rest is the same.

    But what kind of results would you expect? There is no installation benchmark or anything.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Assuming /dev/sda is your SSD with one partition. I gave it '-o 3' since I assume your SSD is at least 32GB (which is pretty big).

    Code:
    mkfs.f2fs -l f2fsonssd -o 3 /dev/sda1
    Start Ubuntu installation in text-mode (server CD) and point it to /dev/sda1 and tell it to use it as '/' (root) without formatting.

    All the rest is the same.

    But what kind of results would you expect? There is no installation benchmark or anything.
    I've got 180gb ssd currently using linux mint 14 with ext4 I've read that f2fs is better for ssd kind. I guess I would expect it to be fast and stable
    Do you know how to install linux mint 14 if I format it with f2fs ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    I've got 180gb ssd currently using linux mint 14 with ext4 I've read that f2fs is better for ssd kind. I guess I would expect it to be fast and stable
    Do you know how to install linux mint 14 if I format it with f2fs ?

    If you can't manage to know how to do it, maybe better to wait. This FS is too new for novices.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ghent
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zman0900 View Post
    It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.
    Lets just hope that Samsung goes "all in" on F2FS and releases drivers for Windows and MacOSX to ultimately replace FAT-based file systems in their devices (cameras, tablets, phones, TVs ...). If one major player starts breaking the unhealthy reliance of FAT, the world will be a better place.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by staalmannen View Post
    Lets just hope that Samsung goes "all in" on F2FS and releases drivers for Windows and MacOSX to ultimately replace FAT-based file systems in their devices (cameras, tablets, phones, TVs ...). If one major player starts breaking the unhealthy reliance of FAT, the world will be a better place.
    Problem is usb mass storage only give direct access to data does not deal with file systems, means lot ofalready existing embedded devices will not able to read it. Its possible to switch but transition will take long.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •