Thread: USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 Flash Drives On Linux

Hybrid View

Default USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 Flash Drives On Linux

Phoronix: USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 Flash Drives On Linux

With the current Linux USB stack and file-systems, do USB 3.0 flash drives provide much of a performance gain over USB 2.0 flash drives? In this article are some brief benchmarks from USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Corsair Flash Voyagers.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18532

Meanwhile, Windows 7 SP1 does not support USB 3.0 out of the box.

Michael, how about trying the USB 3.0 stick in a USB 2.0 slot on that motherboard and seeing what difference just the interface makes?

Quote Originally Posted by willmore View Post
    Michael, how about trying the USB 3.0 stick in a USB 2.0 slot on that motherboard and seeing what difference just the interface makes?
    Which might also help differentiate the underlying hardware between the two models. USB3.0 might require faster onboard processing due to having to handle more data quickly, so inherently gives a slight (or massive?) advantage over USB2.0. I really need to test this myself, especially in RAID. There was a great little article floating around the internet too about RAIDing USB (in my case was for HTPC, and wanted local transcoding otions with the discs being the bottleneck)

But I lost it.

Wow. This was one of the worst benchmarks in Phoronix history. The title should be Corsair X vs Corsair XX. If you really wanted to test the difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 on linux you should have gotten a USB3.0 HDD dock, put a very fast SSD in there and first connect it to a USB 2.0 port, and then to a USB 3.0 port. That would present meaningful results instead of completely irrelevant results.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Wow. This was one of the worst benchmarks in Phoronix history. The title should be Corsair X vs Corsair XX. If you really wanted to test the difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 on linux you should have gotten a USB3.0 HDD dock, put a very fast SSD in there and first connect it to a USB 2.0 port, and then to a USB 3.0 port. That would present meaningful results instead of completely irrelevant results.
    Except, it would only show the throughput for the specific drive in the specific USB device plugged into the motherboards specific controller. Just as he has done but with something we all use. This is a coffee break article and I seriously doubt it was supposed to be comprehensive and as an intelligent individual you possibly could have picked that up. Your response is unnecessarily aggravated.