Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC-BSD Rolls Into A Rolling Release Distribution

Hybrid View

Default PC-BSD Rolls Into A Rolling Release Distribution

Phoronix: PC-BSD Rolls Into A Rolling Release Distribution

PC-BSD, the popular desktop FreeBSD-based operating system that's rather friendly towards conventional end-users, has now become a rolling release platform...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNzU

And it features preconfigured pkgng repositories. Finally, the "apt" clone works like a charm!

To reiterate what I said in the post I made before, they're not transitioning to a rolling release model, but rather offering it as an option next to their stable releases.
    Much like what Linux Mint does with LMDE.

Linux Mint and LMDE are not the same system. LMDE is a Debian-based distribution, Linux Mint is Ubuntu-based. Like CentOS is not Fedora.

I understand the technical differences between LM and LMDE, I was just pointing out that they aren't fully 'transitioning' to a rolling release model and using an example that many people here would be aware of.
    Either way, it's a welcome addition that I hope will make PC-BSD more appealing to desktop users.

Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    Keep dreaming, PCBSD looks like nothing more then a desperate bit by a dying project to attract more users which is clearly not working. Why?

-Why use PCBSD when there's Linux (You can say the same for Linux and Windows but Windows is crap, proprietary and full of viruses)
    -PCBSD is FAR slower then Linux.
    -PCBSD's apps are out of date (even when compared to Debian)
    -PBI system is a headache compared to the package managment of Linux systems, literally a step back
    -PCBSD is harder to use (GUI managment tools often crash or just don't work)
    -PCBSD only works on some hardware (Only some x86s).
    -Even on the right platform, most people find that X cannot run at installation time or after installation. Sometimes, PCBSD would not even boot at all.
    -A new version of PCBSD often doesn't boot on hardware that supported an older release. (And BSD fucks claim that updating is safer on thier crap) see:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2JwtjOohY
    -Many problems on PCBSD are due to FreeBSD but On FreeBSD fourms, they said they are not going to answer any questions on PCBSD. see: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=7290
    -And lost of other problems

BSD fucks say that PCBSD is getting better. But from less bais sources, PCBSD has actually been getting worse.

Bet no. of users on PCBSD has actually been declining thats why they have been trying to advertise more by conferences and stupid ads.
    1. Why use Arch Linux over Ubuntu? Why use Debian over CentOS? Why use PC-BSD over OpenSUSE?
    It's all a question of choice and what the user decides to be better for the task.

2. Do you have any citations, comparisons or scope for this claim?

3. I suppose why they have up to date Firefox, Midori and Openoffice releases just to name a few.

4. In what sense? Because it rolls in the relevant libraries into the package rather than fetching them separately? I can see why you'd think this, but there are some benefits to that model, such as not having to worry about updating a library and breaking the programs that use it.

5. They crash? Not in my experience, nor of the users on PC-BSD. Hell, even Distrowatch praised the tools for being easy to use and they didn't mention instability with the configuration tools.

6. Explain in further detail, are you referring to hardware in general or CPU architecture?

7 and 8. Could you find out what hardware isn't supported in relation to this? It would be better to state what didn't work rather than 'this won't work at all anywhere'.

9. It's to do with support in relation to those distributions, in the same way should Debian respond to help requests from Ubuntu users?

Also, numerous spelling and grammatical errors, probably written by a 13 year old or someone with a poor grasp of the English language and a confusingly similar username to another user on this website.
    Definitely another BSDshitdistrosucks account, trolling is weaker than ever before.
    2/10, better luck next time.

Oh look, our Linsux loser kid has a new name, trying to mock those who can't read too well.

Anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    It's an "apt-get" fork
    Have you ever worked with apt-get?
    If so, you would know that pkg can do much more. It can even search, apt-get can't.

Fail noob.

Default why bash them

ive been using linux and bsd for 20+ years, your childish bashing of bsd pcbsd whatever is really unproductive. while I can agree linux does have ease of use in their basket, linux cannot even come close to the track record on security that bsd has. if im running a server, bsd hands down, if I want a desktop, linux, hands down. if you really hate pcbsd then grab the source, change it, release it and make it better.. just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by minister View Post
    if I want a desktop, linux, hands down
    Why not PC-BSD?

Default pcbsd

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhux View Post
    Why not PC-BSD?
    I have pcbsd on one of my machines hosting abyss web server app for my website and never had a problem