Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 169

Thread: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,369

    Default A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

    Phoronix: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

    In addition to X.Org and Wayland developers criticizing Canonical on Google+ about the Mir display server, there was a colorful discussion about this new open-source project on the Wayland IRC channel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    500

    Default

    I really hope, that everybody(except canonical), will boycott this "mir" shit thing.
    Michael you have contacts with Valve, can you ask them what they think about it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Michael you have contacts with Valve, can you ask them what they think about it.
    That would be interesting, indeed.
    In particular, as it *might* even be the case that Valve is actually the driving force behind this.

    The whole timeline looks a bit suspicious to me.

    They started the first internal commits in mid 2012.
    Negotiations with Canonical about the Linux base system of the SteamBox could have happened in early 2012.
    Also, they aim for a first (productive?) release end of 2013.
    That agrees with the planned release of the SteamBox, end of 2013/early 2014.

    And how the hell did they manage to convince AMD and Nvidia (especially AMD) to join if it wasn't for the Steambox?
    Seriously, Ubuntu alone wouldn't make them support Mir and probably cut Wayland support.
    I can't think of AMD supporting Mir and Wayland. That may be different for NVidia, though.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-05-2013 at 07:48 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Canonical has fucked it up this time. They're losing all the trust they still had from the FLOSS community.

    As someone else said, at least Google is honest with its intentions. Canonical dismisses community standards and only uses upstream as free labor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    70

    Default

    I was cool with ubuntu until this. Granted a lot of it is way over my head but still seems like they should have just went wayland.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Canonical is suffering from NCLAH syndrome.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    As someone else said, at least Google is honest with its intentions. Canonical dismisses community standards and only uses upstream as free labor.
    Wasn't google experimenting with Wayland on their Chrome OS window manager (Aura??) ??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Wow, talk about being evasive. Roaf pretty much couldn't give a direct answer to anything, and the few things he could give answers to ended up being totally bogus.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    21

    Default So much negativity

    Mir may not be anything right now, but I certainly hope it turns into something good in the future. Nothing wrong with having options. It's nice that we have so many DEs (even though others like to call these options fragmentation). Just like I'm not yet judging Wayland in anyway, I'm not judging Mir yet either. Wait for these to actually be implemented fulltime after their release to judge them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabun View Post
    Mir may not be anything right now, but I certainly hope it turns into something good in the future. Nothing wrong with having options. It's nice that we have so many DEs (even though others like to call these options fragmentation). Just like I'm not yet judging Wayland in anyway, I'm not judging Mir yet either. Wait for these to actually be implemented fulltime after their release to judge them.
    It is bad, because it is not a collaboration but competition. It increases pressure on toolkits, on drivers, on developers, and in quality of service in the end. I hope mir dies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •