Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 177

Thread: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Kid get the fuck outta here. Fuck canonical and fuck ubuntu. Their 0.0000000001% contributions to linux doesn't even count, yet they are first to say "we invented this". Unity when they could improve gnome-shell, now MIR(what a retarded name) when they could help wayland.
    There should be some GPL changes to disallow faggots from canonical use damn code for free. PERIOD.
    Go back to your dog-cave.

    Canonical has made Linux what it is today, a verging world success. Everything they do is professional, user friendly, zippy, big strides and or innovative, and now they are hitting the broad device market. In two years Ubuntu will be capable of being on every device, whilst other distros will be playing catchup or acting like it's all sweet in the command line world. The plain fact is some people like their computers on flames, just to repair them or to thinker. Ubuntu on the other hand wants to bring functionality and style to Linux. I'm happy for all flavours of Linux to exist, but Canonical's Ubuntu is leading the pack.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    ...If I were some other company betting on Ubuntu Desktop right now like Valve I would be worried. They couldn't even get Unity out as a decent product in 11.04. Now they want to develop their own display server, switch to rolling release, move everything to Qt/QML and develop Ubuntu Touch in the meantime. Time schedule 1 year. They are going to fail so hard with this.
    Don't fool yourself. Valve has already made its money back. Linux gamer sales are three times the size of Apple Steam purchases. Linux Gamers now have a place to buy new released games.

    Other distros are playing catchup to get Steam on their platform. They did the same with PulseAudio, and they'll probably do the same with 'Mir' so they too can have a bite of the Android device marketplace and the QML scene.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Does anyone honestly think Canonical wants to build another Display Server protocol? If Wayland could cut the mustard they would have adopted it. It obviously doesn't, nor has it made it to the 'Users'.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Nice try at damage control e8hffff but here no one takes you seriously, we are not that dumb...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Nice try ... e8hffff...
    Nvidia did say they were not going to support Wayland. If support comes then Wayland has a chance, else it's a struggling project.

    Mir on the other hand will be too tempting for Nvidia to push aside.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabun View Post
    Mir may not be anything right now, but I certainly hope it turns into something good in the future. Nothing wrong with having options. It's nice that we have so many DEs (even though others like to call these options fragmentation). Just like I'm not yet judging Wayland in anyway, I'm not judging Mir yet either. Wait for these to actually be implemented fulltime after their release to judge them.
    In this case, competition can only hurt the community. I've said this before, but I'll repeat it. The Display Server and Input management are the second most important things to the Linux Kernel for making a consistent environment for developers. It creates a completely different way for programmers to create windows, get keyboard/mouse input, create OpenGL, etc.. and while folks may work to keep the open-source programs up-to-date on each separate platform (similar to how many programs run on both Linux and FreeBSD), the same will surely not be said for proprietary applications and, more importantly, proprietary drivers (those needed to carry the Linux Gaming momentum forward in the future). By creating this divide, Canonical is only confusing the scene, and making Nvidia and AMD weary of supporting either system until a "obvious successor" has be realized by the community at large. Something that could take much more time had the Mir developers backed Wayland development.

    If Canonical had invented something that bested Wayland, it might be a different story. However, that is far from the case. Mir is way behind Wayland, and the issues given for not liking Wayland are a) Completely bogus, and b) should have been raised within the Wayland community nearly 8 months ago when Mir was secretly started. The fact that Canonical developers made no attempt to address these "concerns" points to either two possibilities:

    1. Canonical is becoming a control-freak like Apple. Mark Shuttleworth is the next Steve Jobs, with grand fantasies of "leading" the Linux community into a brighter future.
    2. Or, Canonical has already (despite saying otherwise) gotten NVidia and/or AMD on board with development in collaboration with Valve, and those companies want tight control over the direction of the development (which is concerning all on it's own).

    Either option is a bad one IMO, but only time will tell what their true intentions are. Right now, it just looks like they have delusions of grandeur.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Canonical has made Linux what it is today, a verging world success. Everything they do is professional, user friendly, zippy, big strides and or innovative, and now they are hitting the broad device market.
    SERIOUSLY? Pass some shit u are smoking to me. Canonical does nothing professionally. Their unity code is a mess and i guess mir will be same crap. Canonical are packaging linux stuff that is made by mostly red hat, oracle and some other developers, yet u say canoncal made what linux is today, freaking hilarious.
    God damn i hate those brainwashed retards. Every damn stuff, except unity, u are using on linux is not made by canonical and they didn't even contributed to make stuff better.
    Last edited by phoen1x; 03-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Nvidia did say they were not going to support Wayland. If support comes then Wayland has a chance, else it's a struggling project.

    Mir on the other hand will be too tempting for Nvidia to push aside.
    Why would Mir look attractive when Wayland does not? Mir is far behind Wayland in terms of completeness, and their design is no better than Wayland.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    343

    Default

    let them make mir, community will verify what is worth of using and whats not.

    unity was shit on first releases, now its usable and really good DE
    PA was good for me from the start
    noew lets see what they will bake for us next.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Go back to your dog-cave.

    Canonical has made Linux what it is today, a verging world success. Everything they do is professional, user friendly, zippy, big strides and or innovative, and now they are hitting the broad device market. In two years Ubuntu will be capable of being on every device, whilst other distros will be playing catchup or acting like it's all sweet in the command line world. The plain fact is some people like their computers on flames, just to repair them or to thinker. Ubuntu on the other hand wants to bring functionality and style to Linux. I'm happy for all flavours of Linux to exist, but Canonical's Ubuntu is leading the pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    In this case, competition can only hurt the community. I've said this before, but I'll repeat it. The Display Server and Input management are the second most important things to the Linux Kernel for making a consistent environment for developers. It creates a completely different way for programmers to create windows, get keyboard/mouse input, create OpenGL, etc.. and while folks may work to keep the open-source programs up-to-date on each separate platform (similar to how many programs run on both Linux and FreeBSD), the same will surely not be said for proprietary applications and, more importantly, proprietary drivers (those needed to carry the Linux Gaming momentum forward in the future). By creating this divide, Canonical is only confusing the scene, and making Nvidia and AMD weary of supporting either system until a "obvious successor" has be realized by the community at large. Something that could take much more time had the Mir developers backed Wayland development.
    People don't get it; Its not Linux anymore. Its Ubuntu now. Its the distro the general public recognizes and uses, and thus the one which will see the most support. In short: You've lost control of development to Canonical.

    Basically, whatever they decide to do, the developers (who care about Linux) will follow. And the rest of Linux will be forced to follow Canonical's decisions at the end of the day as a result.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •