Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Holy shit, soreau's trolling on that irc session was almost phoronix-grade. And extremely annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by valeriodean View Post
    For that date, we will have wayland in 2.0 version, xwayland in xorg stable release and MIR in the middle of nothing.
    Only prob. is we won't have Wayland in a mass market device until well into 2014, Sailfish isn't using Wayland until later, for the 1st release/device (no later than Dec, hopefully sooner) they're using x.
    So it's looking possible that Canonical will get the jump in terms of having the 1st mass market device with a next gen. display server.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Only prob. is we won't have Wayland in a mass market device until well into 2014, Sailfish isn't using Wayland until later, for the 1st release/device (no later than Dec, hopefully sooner) they're using x.
    So it's looking possible that Canonical will get the jump in terms of having the 1st mass market device with a next gen. display server.
    To me it looks like Canonical can't get Mir ready and usable by 2014. Maybe not 2015. By the time they get it done it could be that Wayland will already be functional and in production use.

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    To me it looks like Canonical can't get Mir ready and usable by 2014. Maybe not 2015. By the time they get it done it could be that Wayland will already be functional and in production use.
    Dunno about that, everything I've read suggests they're pretty confident, there's a lot we're not yet privy to (some of it never).
    They'll def. have it done within 2014, I just hope Wayland gets the jump by at least a few mths, & that it's fully competitive.
    Even better would be fully open/transparent collaboration, & a merging (of sorts) between Mir/Wayland(Weston) longer-term.
    But I suspect we've just missed that bus, tragically...

Wayland's already shipping inside products.

I do not think MIR is going to make it on the desktop, I think they made MIR for Ubuntu phones, and tries to push it to desktop too.

Or it could be that they only trolling the community to make wayland look better

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    Wayland's already shipping inside products.
    ofc, but very diff. beasts to mass-market commodity/consumer devices like smartphones.

ofc, but very diff. beasts to mass-market commodity/consumer devices like smartphones.
    No, the very same mass-market commodity/consumer devices.

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    No, the very same mass-market commodity/consumer devices.
    C'mon, lets not be cute now, Smartphones?
    If it's so ready for that segment, why hasn't MeR/Nemo (Sailfish) adopted it off-the-bat?
    They're not planning it to use it till the next major release next yr.
    And why so unsuitable for Ubuntu later this year.
    Last edited by jalyst; 03-06-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo

Actually IIRC that may have more to do with the Qt5 side of things than Wayland itself...
    Still doesn't change the original/main point that Canonical may have their Mir implementation on a smartphone* before Sailfish_Alliance(Jolla) has Wayland/Qt5 on one.
    I don't care if they do, so long as it's not: (1) more than 3mth ahead, (2) vastly superior overall**, that would be hugely disappointing.

*&or similar form-factor devices
    **ofc that one's always going to depend on the criteria, but I just hope Wayland/Weston's competitive (if not superior) in most/all areas
    Last edited by jalyst; 03-06-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo