Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 177

Thread: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    It is Canonical's OS, they know better.
    This isn't my opinion, they flat-out said they didn't know.

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    At the same time "GNU/Linux" community is actually Red Hat + volunteers while shunning Canonical for being "outside" it is a popular sport.
    And now Canonical defenders have switched tactic to give Red Hat more credit than it deserves (I assume to make the larger community seem more insular than it really is). Interesting how the party line has changed over the past few weeks from saying that Canonical was the clear and undisputed Linux leader to now being the rebel...
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 03-16-2013 at 06:59 PM.

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Nvidia did say they were not going to support Wayland. If support comes then Wayland has a chance, else it's a struggling project.

    Mir on the other hand will be too tempting for Nvidia to push aside.
    Other way around. NVIDIA is more tempted to support their contractual installations, which are usually on something like RHEL. If RHEL looks to go the Wayland route, and contract customers look to upgrade, NVIDIA will follow with support. So long as it's merely a consumer tech in more home-user focused distros like Ubuntu, NVIDIA is unlikely interested in Wayland or Mir.

    Remember, even if they make money, it might not be enough. It's not just making money, it's making a sizable chunk of money compared to other business endeavors. Businesses and divisions that have profits in the millions are regularly shut down because such "small" profits are chump change to some owners and investors, not worth their time. Why spend time managing a group that makes $2,000,000 when other groups your manage make $20,000,000?

    Home user support on Linux is a charity coming from the workstation contract divisions of NVIDIA. It's not a priority in itself.

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    And Shuttleworth is? Still, that does not even dispute my point - Gnome Shell had a person in charge of design and ensuring a consistent vision. And it was in fact because of this "leadership" that many seem to have gotten upset about it (for real and imagined reasons). And yet this is exactly what people say they want out of Canonical...
    I'm not a canonical fan, so I don't know why you'd bring up shuttleworth. My only point was that mccann, the principal behind the design doc and continued driver of the G3 vision, isn't a trained designer.

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    What a moronic comment....
    I do not follow this logic. Is this statement using the "community definition" of the word moronic? Reference please.


    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Forums are made for people to discuss things and share their opinions about their topics of interest. So everyone is entitled to his opinion. Only fascists believe that people shouldn't state their opinion on something... Are you one?
    And now strawman arguments on a completely different topic...


    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Btw, the community didn't make and isn't going to make any move against Mir.
    Making this assurance you must be the head of "the community".


    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    PS: To Canonical: Please recruit more intelligent trolls next time...
    Amazing conclusion. Are you looking for job?

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    I'm not a canonical fan, so I don't know why you'd bring up shuttleworth. My only point was that mccann, the principal behind the design doc and continued driver of the G3 vision, isn't a trained designer.
    Because the claim is that Shuttleworth's vision was going to make a better product than Gnome Shell because he is firmly in control. Gnome3 was brought up as an example of a community product that failed because it had no one in charge, and yet they clearly had Mccann.

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    no the problem with gnome 3 is that programmers are not professional UI designers. therefore projects run by linux tinkerers usually have crappy UIs. it's quite telling that gnome was 6 years behind osx in getting integrated desktop search.

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Because the claim is that Shuttleworth's vision was going to make a better product than Gnome Shell because he is firmly in control. Gnome3 was brought up as an example of a community product that failed because it had no one in charge, and yet they clearly had Mccann.
    Ah, CONTEXT
    Yeah, I was looking at it in isolation and simply wanted to clear that one point.
    What Gnome needs/ed are UX people along with a leader like De Icaza (someone who could get consensus, that is).

  9. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    I've seen game designers call play testers "stupid" because they couldn't figure out some "what have I got in my pocket" kind of puzzle in a game level; good designers when someone is around with the authority to apply a firm hand, but act infallible when calling the shots, and then act surprised when their game does poorly. Recent trends in the Linux desktop remind me of those situations.

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Togga View Post
    I do not follow this logic. Is this statement using the "community definition" of the word moronic? Reference please.
    And now strawman arguments on a completely different topic...
    Making this assurance you must be the head of "the community".
    Amazing conclusion. Are you looking for job?
    Strawman argument= an answer to your accusation about the "mafia of foss"?

    Stating the obvious, that community projects and developers do not make any move against Canonical other than expressing their dislike, needs to be made by a "head of the community"?

    Be thankful i am not looking for a job, for if i did you would have already lost yours...

    What a joke...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •