Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

Hybrid View

Default Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

Phoronix: Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

A day after announcing the Mir display server as their custom replacement for X.Org/Wayland within the Ubuntu world, Canonical is now pushing for the Mesa back-end that was developed behind closed doors over the past half-year to be integrated into mainline Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODM

Is this general EGL things that can be used by other stuff too?

Or is this Mir-specific stuff that can only be used by Mir?

I think Canonical should just drop Mir and use Wayland instead, or try to re-use as much as code as possible instead of NIH.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Is this general EGL things that can be used by other stuff too?

Or is this Mir-specific stuff that can only be used by Mir?

I think Canonical should just drop Mir and use Wayland instead, or try to re-use as much as code as possible instead of NIH.
    Canonical usually only contributes uptream patches to support they own stuff without engaging with the community.

Very much the same Microsoft did sending Hyper-V patches to the kernel for Azure support

Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    Canonical usually only contributes uptream patches to support they own stuff without engaging with the community.

Very much the same Microsoft did sending Hyper-V patches to the kernel for Azure support

IIRC Microsoft was in breach of the GPL with Hyper-V otherwise we never would of seen it.

Anyway....

Ubuntu, much like Android is trying to be a separate entity from other Distro's/flavors of Linux based Operating Systems.... This is fine, no problems here right?

Ubuntu can't make it's own platform like Android did atop the kernel, so they still swim in the FLOSS ocean getting free lunch along the way.... No problems here I guess most Distro's don't heavily contribute.. (considering the insane amount of them).

Ubuntu is trying to alter existing project, spitting on others, and using M$'s favorite tactic of spreading FUD... Yeah, well, hmm.

I wish Ubuntu well, on it's journey. They don't have the developer skill, time, nor resources to pull this off... of course I would love to eat my words and have a kick ass DS that's video accelerated EGL compliant and resource friendly, just don't think they can.

So much butthurt in this and other threads...

"They didn't hire right people", "They have no rescources", "They want to have control" (how can this be bad in any way?!). Canonical has the right people. Experience is not everything. Someimes experience screws everything, because you build thing as you used to in the past. First good decision, against so-called *experience*: they use C++(11) instead of pure C, what makes code much simplier and easier to maintain. They have much more people working on this (mor than wayland has) and they have faster development (9 months and support for 3D (over EGL), android drivers working, QMir backend, XMir...). They have enough resources to drive their own project in a way they want it to be. They don't have rescources to be huge patcher of GNOME, wayland, Qt, just to get things they want.

Projects goal-driven are much morte efficient than community-driven. People are leaving - too many cooks spoil the broth.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmarex View Post
    IIRC Microsoft was in breach of the GPL with Hyper-V otherwise we never would of seen it.
    Well it's basically got to do with Azure, the customers wanted Linux not windows so Microsoft had to bend, and they had to make their virtualization solution for linux better as a result. There may have been GPL violation stuff there too but they're continuing to be developed due to azure.

If Canonical continue to make such radical movements will likely to blow up entier linux ecosystem, shrouded into big chunks.

Default Great..

I really hate seeing such segmentation in the ecosystem.
    X11 is old and crusty... Wayland was a solution to that. Throwing another display manager in the mix I think is bad long term (unless Mir is so awesome that everyone focuses on it vs wayland)

Given Ubuntu's track record as of late... my money is on Wayland.

Plus.. Who knows if native Mir stuff is going to be compatible with X11 and wayland... Stuff like steam for Ubuntu may not run on anything but Ubuntu in the future

Quote Originally Posted by kallisti5 View Post
    Plus.. Who knows if native Mir stuff is going to be compatible with X11 and wayland... Stuff like steam for Ubuntu may not run on anything but Ubuntu in the future
    This is what I tried to explain to some gnome fanboys. If gnome wasn't be such broken mess it would have a chance to compete with Ubuntu and Unity. There's KDE that's doing very well, but it probably doesn't have enough corporal backend to encourage blob makers to support Wayland. Gnome has to be stronger to compete and show Wayland is the way.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, now the Mesa devs have to sift through 8 months worth of work because Canonical did this behind closed doors and now decide to dump the lot into Mesa? What are the chances they're going to be told to go fsck themselves?