Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videos Of Unity Running On Mir Via X Server

Hybrid View

Default Videos Of Unity Running On Mir Via X Server

Phoronix: Videos Of Unity Running On Mir Via X Server

Canonical has begun posting videos of Mir in action. While Mir itself doesn't do much yet, a video by one of the Mir developers shows Unity running on Mir. But it's running Unity through an X Server via the "XMir" project...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODQ

LOL. Everyone on the OMGUbuntu forums is like: "1 day after the release and Mir is already running Unity Desktop!!".
    Thank you for this post, hopefully it will clear things up for some of those folks.
    Last edited by F i L; 03-05-2013 at 12:38 PM.

I'm interested to see how Valve postures, I would think they would of have to known about Mir seeing that Steam "Officially Supports" and works with Ubuntu. Nvidia's support for X is on par with Windows in terms of performance parity and X isn't just going to "Go Away" anytime soon. Of course, the up incomer Wayland is out in the wild showing signs of progress but without the real backing it needs. Time will tell but I have my money on the old workhorse X.

Why oh why some people mention valve, nvidia. WHY WOULD THEY CARE AND SUPPORT SOME ALPHA STAGE CRAP THAT IT'S NOT EVEN READY FOR USE? Damn, i usually don't post here with angry comments but i'm just sick of this retarded bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Why oh why some people mention valve, nvidia. WHY WOULD THEY CARE AND SUPPORT SOME ALPHA STAGE CRAP THAT IT'S NOT EVEN READY FOR USE? Damn, i usually don't post here with angry comments but i'm just sick of this retarded bullshit.

Umm because as it sits, Canonical is looking to use Mir on the desktop by April of next year. A bold statement I think they intend on fulfilling. Every big Linux player will keep eye out as Canonical pushes this "ALPHA STAGE CRAP" (as you call it) forward and tries to change the landscape of desktop Linux

Canonical still hasn't opened up the XMir code at lp:~rocket-scientists/xserver/xmir

Quote Originally Posted by chenxiaolong View Post
    Canonical still hasn't opened up the XMir code at lp:~rocket-scientists/xserver/xmir
    It's basically xwayland...

https://twitter.com/hoegsberg/status/308706022447542272

Quote Originally Posted by jmcharron View Post
    Umm because as it sits, Canonical is looking to use Mir on the desktop by April of next year. A bold statement I think they intend on fulfilling. Every big Linux player will keep eye out as Canonical pushes this "ALPHA STAGE CRAP" (as you call it) forward and tries to change the landscape of desktop Ubuntu
    Fixed that for you.

I'm interested to see how Valve postures, I would think they would of have to known about Mir seeing that Steam "Officially Supports" and works with Ubuntu. Nvidia's support for X is on par with Windows in terms of performance parity and X isn't just going to "Go Away" anytime soon. Of course, the up incomer Wayland is out in the wild showing signs of progress but without the real backing it needs. Time will tell but I have my money on the old workhorse X.
    Have you tried wayland and Weston? I think you feel the age of X pretty soon when you play around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    LOL. Everyone on the OMGUbuntu forums is like: "1 day after the release and Mir is already running Unity Desktop!!".
    Thank you for this post, hopefully it will clear things up for some of those folks.
    I author of the article on omgubuntu wrote it was with xmir though.
    Last edited by Akka; 03-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Not that I support Ubuntu making Mir but, NVIDIA's optimizations for Steam are independent of X. The optimizations being done by NVIDIA are for their OpenGL implementation which, assuming they decide to make backend support for Mir, will still be applicable. In fact, most of NVIDIA's optimizations are applicable for even Windows if you run the game using OpenGL.