Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72

Thread: Suggest Ubuntu Alternative

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Europe/Moscow
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Title.

    The distribution should be "consumer" friendly, in installation and in service; and have some sort of "market place" (ie GUI frontend to big local package repo, or application manager etc).

    I have recently tried Unity and polished unity looks pretty good.

    But with current Ubuntu policy of
    1) "we want to control everything", ie "Mir" case
    2) "we require CLA everywhere", ie can turn all into closed source
    sure people will search for alternative.

    Please suggest and explain why(strong points, weak points).
    Either you are a religious zealot or you use consumer-friendly OS. Can't have it both ways.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestingTe View Post
    Leaving out the fact that Netflix and Yahoo use FreeBSD for their servers and that Apple uses FreeBSD coding in their kernel, aye?

    Have a good day sir xD
    Nothing special. Apple is not using freebsd kernel while Netflix is using freebsd without a reason. Thread is about Ubuntu/Linux alternative, so bsd doesn't match.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestingTe View Post
    Leaving out the fact that Netflix and Yahoo use FreeBSD for their servers and that Apple uses FreeBSD coding in their kernel, aye?
    You can't be serious offering an OS, that completely does not protect its freedom.
    BSD is good at nothing thanks to that. For Desktop - Mac outperforms BSD, for servers thats - commercial proprietary solutions. All based on BSD.

    Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    Either you are a religious zealot or you use consumer-friendly OS. Can't have it both ways.
    Lets see - I have it both ways.
    While you are only capable at trolling.
    Have a nice day.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Nothing special. Apple is not using freebsd kernel while Netflix is using freebsd without a reason. Thread is about Ubuntu/Linux alternative, so bsd doesn't match.
    Netflix is using FreeBSD to host their servers and stream their content... how is that not a reason? Also, I know several guys that have moved from sommat like Ubuntu to PC-BSD and continue to live quite the happy lives. Plus if you look at my original comment, the first thing I suggest is Trisquel GNU/Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    You can't be serious offering an OS, that completely does not protect its freedom.
    BSD is good at nothing thanks to that. For Desktop - Mac outperforms BSD, for servers thats - commercial proprietary solutions. All based on BSD.
    Aaaand you've completely missed the point. I was merely stating that FreeBSD is so well liked that big industries use it (though of course, many try to hide it). Granted it doesn't force you to keep open like the GPL does (though that doesn't stop the violations) but there is still sommat special about it, else such big names wouldn't even bother with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cthuiux View Post
    Pawlerson, brosis, good work and thanks.
    couldn't come up with a comeback of your own, eh? xD

    Quote Originally Posted by cthuiux View Post
    Get The ****Out and take your ******* ********Daemon BSD with you ******
    Y'know.... only a troll swears that much... 'tis a sign of defeat.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestingTe View Post
    Netflix is using FreeBSD to host their servers and stream their content... how is that not a reason? Also, I know several guys that have moved from sommat like Ubuntu to PC-BSD and continue to live quite the happy lives. Plus if you look at my original comment, the first thing I suggest is Trisquel GNU/Linux.
    I feel sorry for these guys.

    Trisquel is fine, until one gets some sort of a device, that does not work yet without proprietary blob.
    Its a fine project to invest money though!

    Quote Originally Posted by TestingTe View Post
    Aaaand you've completely missed the point. I was merely stating that FreeBSD is so well liked that big industries use it (though of course, many try to hide it). Granted it doesn't force you to keep open like the GPL does (though that doesn't stop the violations) but there is still sommat special about it, else such big names wouldn't even bother with it.
    Listen, I was asking for Ubuntu alternative. I wasn't asking for parts bin to assemble own proprietary OS.
    I have no problems with you use BSD, but xBSD is not alternative, its completely different thing.

    I am no supporter of big dirty industries, they are huge, but their essence is puny. Size is not a measure of nobility.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Listen, I was asking for Ubuntu alternative. I wasn't asking for parts bin to assemble own proprietary OS.
    And that's what PC-BSD is, a complete OS that is an Ubuntu alternative.

    Even Distrowatch thinks highly of it, as seen here: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...130107#feature

    However, if you want a consumer friendly OS that uses the Linux kernel as opposed to any other kernel, there is always Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu, which aren't really sponsored by Canonical except for the build system.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    Why you and bullshitting, Netflix uses Linux for thier servers. All big companies who haven't gone out of business use Linux not BitchesSuckingDicks on their servers cause their not mentally retarded morons.
    Well, you're wrong there.
    https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect/software
    So, why are you bullshitting?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    Wrong, PC-BSD is nothing more then beautified parts build a proprietary OS.

    Just as I said, it's like putting make up on a girl and dressing her up in fancy clothes before brutally disecting her and using the body parts to make a scarecrow or frankenstien.

    And it's what the PCBSD project in collaboration with Apple does.

    For FreeBSD, it's desecting a naked woman.
    A citation of PC-BSD's direct collaboration with Apple, if you please.

    Oh, and a reason of why you are trying to impersonate Cthulhux's username while you're at it.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    You're the one bullshitting:
    http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=....com&x=17&y=19

    1. movies.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    2. dvd.netflix.com - citrix netscaler (proprietary, so BSD base? Oh Wait! BSD license, thus not BSD anymore)
    3. www.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    4. netflix.com - citrix netscaler (proprietary, so BSD base? Oh Wait! BSD license, thus not BSD anymore)
    5. signup.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    6. account.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    7. movies1.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    8. movies2.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    9. contactus.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)
    10.support.netflix.com - linux (oh not BSD too bad)

    This is getting ridiculous.
    So their web servers run on Linux and Cisco's proprietary in house web deployment platform. Thank you for clarifying that, although they do use FreeBSD for content distribution.
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ne/068129.html

    And stop dodging the question about why you are trying to impersonate Cthulhux's username, it's getting ridiculous

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    76

    Default debian is for you

    If you're ok with ubuntu, debian will be fine for you but you just have to adapt to gnome-shell.
    Debian-mint is a good alternative is you want something just a little easier to use.
    But I don't think you can skip the trying phase.



    @cthulu:
    Quote Originally Posted by CthuIhux View Post
    Before everyone suggest PCBSD, lets be real:

    --------------------------
    PCBSD is not an alternative to Ubuntu.

    PCBSD is an alternative to the shit which comes out of your anus when you sit on the toilet.
    --------------------------
    Anyone who suggest PCBSD should kill themselfs NOW
    ha cthulu you've got a real nice name, but you're not able to give one alternative to ubuntu: but it was easy => debian is a good one.
    You can promote bsd if you want but it's just not the right topic, I believe you are struggling with something but I encourage you to read the first post then read yours and I hope you understand your mistake : bsd is not linux. Even if you're frustrated because pcbsd did something very ugly to you in the past you've got to move on and direct you anger to people talking about bsd not the one talking about something totally different. But if you want to kee going in that direction, perhaps you can go to the microsoft or apple forum I'm sure it will be more funny. You remind me of poor people agressing poor people when they just have to walk to the next neighboorg to find people with a lot of money, it's just stupid. Osx feet you prefectly as it's a distant relative of bsd. I suggest you to begin with tony mac something site and wait a month or two to get back to phoronix (and as a bonus if you're not here you can"t be banned, so all is fine for everybody). Good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •