Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 153

Thread: Miguel de Icaza Leaves Linux For Apple OS X

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arokh View Post
    Linux needs a damn dictator.
    It has one since beginning. Actually even 2 - one for userland and one for kernel.

    Quote Originally Posted by arokh View Post
    As if the current fragmented mess that is "desktop Linux" wasn't enough, they added TWO more display servers! One to fix broken X,
    No.
    Its not broken.
    Its just in desperate need for rewrite, because original paradigm shifted - hence complete different design approach needed and contains deep legacy cruft, that is not needed anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by arokh View Post
    then another one to fix the alternative and/or just to keep code inhouse.
    No, don't mix Ubuntu with Linux. Also, it was their decision and they are free to decide. It is freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by arokh View Post
    Just wow. Year of Desktop Linux (TM) didn't come in 2000, it won't come in 2020 either.
    I started using Linux since complete migration from windows in 2003.
    The year of Linux desktop for me was 2003.
    Crawl out of your hole already.

    Quote Originally Posted by arokh View Post
    This is what happens when you trust nerds to create good UI concepts for normal people.
    Linux developers & users are not always Nerds.
    Non-Linux developers & users are sometimes Nerds.
    Logic fail.

    Quote Originally Posted by arokh View Post
    You need someone rational at the top to tell the nerds what they should code, not the other way around. I always laugh when I see people arguing that the Linux desktop is better than Windows/Mac, and has reached maturity. We all know these people spend hours setting up their desktop, installing binary drivers, desktop extensions, custom launcher docks, etc. and when they are finally done it looks kinda like a Mac except it's just a polished turd.
    You can transfer your ~ with you. So its one-time life-time setup.
    Due to the fact its Linux who invented functioning binary package management, it were Linux users that had to spend much less time getting and downloading ANYTHING.
    Also, Linux offers by FAR MORE desktop environiments and configuration possiblities than windows and mac COMBINED.
    Linux user is not forced any interface. Is it true for windows? Not. For Mac? IMHO, not. Never seen a Mac user using anything but default environiment.

    Perhaps the turd is not Linux. Perhaps the turd is you?!
    Last edited by brosis; 03-06-2013 at 06:55 AM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    I'm a former .NET developer that ported almost all my work to C++(11), it's quite cross platform(but not build-once run everywhere... neither is C#, Mono though. I had many issues with things that worked fine in .NET but not mono.)
    Not to mention that a lot of linux users just plain don't like mono, and I don't blame them.
    Sir, you are my personal hero, sir!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweenk View Post
    Icaza was the person instrumental in allowing Microsoft to market Silverlight as a cross-platform technology, even though its Linux port called Moonlight is missing support for Silverlight's critical selling point - video DRM. The effect of this is that Linux users cannot view Silverlight-based videos.
    Where else but the Microsoft website can you find Silverlight videos? I can't say I've come across many, if any at all. I don't know why anyone would use Silverlight for something like that anyway, there are better uses for it.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    I don't know why anyone would use Silverlight for something like that anyway, there are better uses for it.

    I don't know why anyone would use Silverlight, period.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    29

    Arrow Closed iTunes ecosystem

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    I think OS X is much more open than eg. Windows. So, You can compile your own kernel on OS X and use many great open source tools.
    OS X is not a bad operating system, but most Linux users don't read too much documentations and books about Darwin and OS X.

    For example:

    http://www.opensource.apple.com

    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mac-.../9781430216506
    http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-iOS-Int.../dp/1118057651
    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596520632.do
    http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Unix-.../dp/1449332315
    etc.
    Thx, I made too much of a shortcut to mention how DRM-heavy is stuff sold on iTunes and how much you are then locked in as a customer.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    This comes as a surprise, because many people said he was in bed with Microsoft, so if he were going anywhere, I guess people would expect it to be Microsoft, but instead he went with Apple.
    Traitor!

    I hope Mono on Linux doesn't suffer from this though.

    I dislike Silverlight too, but to be honest it isn't any worse than Adobe Flash, actually its probably technically superior.
    Luckily nobody uses Silverlight, so I don't really care for Moonlight.
    However, Mono is great, C# and and the .NET Framework are well-designed and really great.

    People hate on .NET, but its pretty much Java done right.
    It would be nice if both Windows and Linux had support for .NET so we can have cross-platform applications.
    Also .NET is very productive and allows developers to easily and quickly great good applications.
    The major problem with silverlight was that everyone that did use it, used proprietary Microsoft DRM that didn't support moonlight.
    I would have preferred it over flash, but prefer HTML5 for 99% of tasks that flash is used for(seriously, we don't need flash just to display some video anymore.)

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    I don't know why anyone would use Silverlight, period.
    DRM. Netflix and co claim it's absolutely mandatory, but Hulu does just fine without it.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    538

    Default

    good riddance faggot.


    you should buy an ipad because your vagina sure is leaking...



    "yo quiero apple mac "
    Last edited by Pallidus; 03-06-2013 at 08:11 AM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    I don't know why anyone would use Silverlight, period.
    If your infrastructure is all MS then it integrates nicely with everything, and you can build some nice web applications with it (data binding is cool, albeit a bit automagical). Personally I'd prefer building them with ASP.NET MVC. There are fewer functionality restrictions that require hacking around, most developers can pick it up faster if they have any web experience, and the majority of the stack (if not all of it) is licenced under the Apache Licence, unlike Silverlight. If it's a client-facing application, Silverlight also requires client-side software installed, and you know what some companies are like when it comes to installing software. 6 month approval processes and 3 months for minor product updates.

    If you just use it for videos then you obviously don't want anybody to view them. Silverlight has a relatively low install base.
    Last edited by randomizer; 03-06-2013 at 08:36 AM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    It has one since beginning. Actually even 2 - one for userland and one for kernel.
    None for the "desktop", because there are tons of desktops and none are useable by default. Linus maintains the kernel and does a great job at that, nobody is complaining about the kernel. I don't see competing kernels and massive duplication of effort there.

    No.
    Its not broken.
    Its just in desperate need for rewrite, because original paradigm shifted - hence complete different design approach needed and contains deep legacy cruft, that is not needed anymore.
    Broken, desperate need for rewrite, dinosaur, who cares.

    No, don't mix Ubuntu with Linux. Also, it was their decision and they are free to decide. It is freedom.
    Nobody is mixing Ubuntu with Linux. Yes it's their decision and they are a corporation with business needs and will surely maintain Mir in the future. In that case perhaps the Wayland devs should abandon their project and help make Mir a good solution.

    I started using Linux since complete migration from windows in 2003.
    The year of Linux desktop for me was 2003.
    Crawl out of your hole already.
    What's your argument here? You feel the year of Linux desktop was 2003 and that means I should crawl out of my hole? I don't get it. I started using Linux around 1997-1998 with Redhat 5.x and Slackware 3.x. The year of Linux desktop has never come, crawl out of your hole.

    Linux developers & users are not always Nerds.
    Mostly they are. Ever worked at a software company?

    Non-Linux developers & users are sometimes Nerds.
    Logic fail.
    Yes you do fail, because I have no idea where you are going with this.

    You can transfer your ~ with you. So its one-time life-time setup.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. Is my response to that. Try that going from Ubuntu, then to Fedora, then to SUSE will ya? Or even between versions of the same distro. Anyways, you quoted me and started talking about something completely different again.

    Due to the fact its Linux who invented functioning binary package management, it were Linux users that had to spend much less time getting and downloading ANYTHING
    Functioning binary package management? Spending less time downloading??? What planet do you live on? Seriously... Using Linux since 2003 didn't do you much good. Binary packages are not installable across different versions of the same distribution and certainly not between different distributions. Ever heard of Linux dependancy hell? We've been living in it since the start. Anyone running a modern Linux distribution have hundreds of meg's worth of updates weekly if not daily, even if the updates concern parts of the system that you will never even touch.

    Also, Linux offers by FAR MORE desktop environiments and configuration possiblities than windows and mac COMBINED.
    Don't confuse Linux (awesome kernel) with random open source hackers hobby projects. Yes it offers tons of desktop environments and configuration possibilities. Too bad all of them are crap! Microsoft and Apple have fulltime employees doing research on UI design and usability and it shows. Instead of imitating them, keeping the best stuff and improving on the not so good stuff, GNOME and KDE devs think they can do better. Wrong!

    Linux user is not forced any interface. Is it true for windows? Not. For Mac? IMHO, not. Never seen a Mac user using anything but default environiment.
    Exactly, because their default environment works great and they can focus on using the computer for it's real purpose instead of wasting their time on broken desktop environments. Users and devs should be forced, only then would we get progress. Obviously that ain't gonna happen because most "Desktop" devs work in their spare time and work on what they feel like. And if they feel taskbar is not working, it's gone. If they feel like spatial window mode is great (remember that?) then that's what we get.

    Perhaps the turd is not Linux. Perhaps the turd is you?!
    Errrr. You're a double-turd then, how about that? Great discussing with you.
    Last edited by arokh; 03-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default So he'd rather go where he can make NO difference than stay where he could make SOME?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Miguel de Icaza Leaves Linux For Apple OS X

    Miguel de Icaza, well known the GNOME project founder and leader of the Mono camp, has left Linux for OS X...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODg
    Then he was already gone before he even left. The FOSS community needs people who're invested IN the idea of open source and freedom, not people who need to be constantly convinced that it's the right thing to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •