Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Hybrid View

Default Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Phoronix: Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Mark Shuttleworth has written a third blog post today. After he started blogging to come to his defense on Ubuntu, he's written a third post that largely is defending Canonical's position on developing the Mir Display Server and the feelings right now by derivatives like Kubuntu and Xubuntu...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMDk

"the space tourist goes on to say"

Really? It sounds to me like someone is angry.. There are many space tourists, this should read "the founder of Ubuntu, a widely popular Linux distro, goes on to say." That is, if we need superfluous descriptors.

Samsung is launching Tizen phones this year which run wayland. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Samsung is launching Tizen phones this year which run wayland. Right?
    Yes should be this year, I think they aim for wayland if they aren't there already, and use the EFL libraries (which have been ported to wayland)

Quote Originally Posted by coder543 View Post
    "the space tourist goes on to say"

Really? It sounds to me like someone is angry.. There are many space tourists, this should read "the founder of Ubuntu, a widely popular Linux distro, goes on to say." That is, if we need superfluous descriptors.
    My thought's exactly. Shouldn't being a journalist require one to be as indifferent as possible? Things haven't even taken off yet for both Wayland and Mir, yet the article makes it seem like war at the end of the world.

@Michael "I do wish any open-source project success that seeks to improve the Linux graphics stack."

Hahaha. Come on. Admit it, you want it to die. And so do I.

BTW. Loved the photo and description. "Will Mir hold better?"

So Martin Grlin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    So Martin Grlin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.
    He "owns" kwin though, he's the main kwin developer for upstream KDE. kubuntu generally doesn't do any development of KDE itself afiak, so if he says kwin won't support mir I'd say thats accurate, since he's one of the people actually coding kwin.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    He "owns" kwin though, he's the main kwin developer for upstream KDE. kubuntu generally doesn't do any development of KDE itself afiak, so if he says kwin won't support mir I'd say thats accurate, since he's one of the people actually coding kwin.
    My statement is still correct. If Martin plays politics then he's doing himself and KDE, a disservice.

I use Kubuntu myself. I want it moving forward, not go stale with the likes of other distributions who put little effort in concurrency and size of their repositories, or KDE versions. Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.

Wake up and smell the flowers(roses) is an appropriate saying.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 03-07-2013 at 02:53 PM.