Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

What happened to actually talking about the story this thread sprung from, totally hijacked by a couple of chest thumping neckbeards... >.>
    Last edited by jalyst; 03-11-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    What happened to actually talking about the story this thread sprung from, totally hijacked by a couple of chest thumping neckbeards... >.>
    The story has been hashed and rehashed and argued about on 16 different threads that all say the same exact thing if you really want to continue discussing it I'm sure there are a few on that topic on here that are still burning with the same arguments being used by both sides and nobody getting much of anywhere. If you want to read a summary of the discussion on the story just look at the first few pages of this or any of the related threads, the rest of the pages will look the same. I don't think it's really a loss if we hijack this one into the age old battle between the practitioner and the theorist.

TL;DR:
    Side A: Canonical committed foul play;
    Side B: There being more display servers is fragmentation and that's bad
    Side C: Choice is good
    Side D: There was no foul play with Canonical's actions so stop being "childish"
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 03-11-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Ah, neckbeard: the bandying cry of the modern anti-intellectual element.

Default Hmm :(

When looking how "open" canonical maintaines their current in-house software stack like Unity, I can only hope RedHat+Suse+... will start to invest into Wayland.
    Otherwise we might end up with something similar to Android on the Linux desktop, which I am not looking forward to :/

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Watch out or he'll call you a virgin who lives in his mom's basement. How would you ever survive the emotional trauma?

Jupiter Broadcasting had a great show and talked about the Mir and Wayland debate and they put it pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    I don't think it's really a loss if we hijack this one....
    It is because that's what threads are for, you know, discussing/reading subject matter that the thread was created for.
    Anyway no "biggy" now that the thread's almost dead, but if the thread remains active, hopefully it stays on-topic going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    You like that one, good stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Watch out or he'll call you a virgin who lives in his mom's basement. How would you ever survive the emotional trauma?
    Now now, no Neckbeard tag-teaming, it was a perfectly warranted/legit protest, time to crawl back into Mum's basement now

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    When looking how "open" canonical maintaines their current in-house software stack like Unity, I can only hope RedHat+Suse+... will start to invest into Wayland.
    Otherwise we might end up with something similar to Android on the Linux desktop, which I am not looking forward to :/
    +1
    Ah now that's more like it, more postings like this is the way to go folks (or counter points of course).
    Last edited by jalyst; 03-12-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post

[10 chars]

Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post

Jupiter Broadcasting had a great show and talked about the Mir and Wayland debate and they put it pretty clear.

The LAS is incredible narrow minded and with GoDaddy as their backer it speaks volumes.. At least they got rid of that asshole Lunduke. Anyhow they all but failed in highlighting the negatives. Passing mentions at beast. Pretty biased overall especially with the guy who uses Ubuntu to make money... Yeah no bias there. Nice try, try again.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmarex View Post
    The LAS is incredible narrow minded and with GoDaddy as their backer it speaks volumes.. At least they got rid of that asshole Lunduke. Anyhow they all but failed in highlighting the negatives. Passing mentions at beast. Pretty biased overall especially with the guy who uses Ubuntu to make money... Yeah no bias there. Nice try, try again.
    I couldn't agree more. These guys are crazy.
    Unfortunately, they also seem to have some influence on a not so small audience.

If you don't want to watch the full thing, give them a try here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfYGjcNmeDY&t=54m32s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfYGjcNmeDY&t=1h1m58s