Thread: Intel Has New Open-Source GPU Code For Testing

Default Intel Has New Open-Source GPU Code For Testing

Phoronix: Intel Has New Open-Source GPU Code For Testing

For those Intel Linux customers living on the bleeding edge, their open-source graphics driver team has some new code available for testing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMTQ

Support for completing page-flips that have been stuck in a GPU hang. This change should prevent OpenGL compositors from being stuck.
    Does that finally target those occasional problems I get:
    Code:
    [10745.636467] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    [10745.636471] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    After that I need to re-login because of heavy tearing and quite "unaccellerated" feeling (slow scrolling, slow window moving etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by schmalzler View Post
    Does that finally target those occasional problems I get:
    Code:
    [10745.636467] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    [10745.636471] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    After that I need to re-login because of heavy tearing and quite "unaccellerated" feeling (slow scrolling, slow window moving etc.)
    No. It doesn't fix that at all. It fixes the much rarer case where the GPU is reset successfully whilst the scanout was being flipped from one image to the next. Here, you have some processes causing a GPU hang, the GPU is not reset and so the GPU is no longer available for acceleration.

File a bug report with Xorg.0.log, dmesg and most importantly /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state along with a description of what you were doing at the time it hung.