Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,378

    Default Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

    Phoronix: Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

    Following a tough week for Canonical with controversies surrounding the Mir Display Server and uncertainties about whether Ubuntu 13.04 would be released or turned into a rolling release model, Sam Spilsbury one of the lead Compiz developers and former Canonical employees, had some harsh words for the Ubuntu backer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMTc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

    They take so much, they give so little.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,117

    Default

    His compiz stuff is all included in the 0.9.9 development. What he means is it would have gone to waste if Ubuntu 13.04 didn't actually release, which it will.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    His compiz stuff is all included in the 0.9.9 development. What he means is it would have gone to waste if Ubuntu 13.04 didn't actually release, which it will.
    "I was basically going to throw away 4 months of hard work because Ubuntu wasnít going to take my patches because they donít want to take community patches on compiz anymore."

    It quite hard to undestand what he meant.

    "because they donít want to take community patches on compiz anymore." They aren't taking community patches anymore

    "because they woudn't take community patches on compiz anymore." They won't take patches if 13.04 isn't released

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    He's on his monthly?


    Talk about whiners. If you patch Compiz then you're doing it for the Users, not Canonical, since they give away the OS for free. Just patch what you want to do and what you don't then don't. There's no pressure, other than you will miss being apart of the history of Linux and Ubuntu.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    He's on his monthly?


    Talk about whiners. If you patch Compiz then you're doing it for the Users, not Canonical, since they give away the OS for free. Just patch what you want to do and what you don't then don't. There's no pressure, other than you will miss being apart of the history of Linux and Ubuntu.
    Miss being apart of linux history...? Compiz was this guy's baby, and unfortunately the ONLY one using Compiz at this point is Ubuntu and Canonical. This guy maintained Compiz as the lead dev for years and he's finally said "Ive had it" with Ubuntu's bullshit. Everyone knows you're an ubuntu fanboy and an ubuntu fanatic, e8hffff-- you're as much of a troll as the AntiBSD guy and everyone before him and everyone after you.

  7. #7

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Compiz was dead anyway. KWin is where it's at.
    I agree, KWin and KDE are the best for me. After installing good looking Icon packages, the Oxygen theme, Dark translucent Windows, it looks way more better than Windows.

    But this programmer can't he start helping on KWin? He should be honoured and asked to help KWin developement.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    I really hope Canonical fails really fast with their Mir stuff and their approach to the community.

    They take so much, they give so little.
    I thought everything they take gets released for everyone to use? Correct me if I'm wrong

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    I thought everything they take gets released for everyone to use? Correct me if I'm wrong
    GPL doesn't have a clause that would require us to like Canonical or wish them well. It's not about licensing, it's about their treatment of the community and about them being jerks for the sake of being jerks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    GPL doesn't have a clause that would require us to like Canonical or wish them well. It's not about licensing, it's about their treatment of the community and about them being jerks for the sake of being jerks.
    please clarify it for me: where have the been jerks at?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •