Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xfce 4.12 Desktop Release Ends Up Behind Schedule

Default Xfce 4.12 Desktop Release Ends Up Behind Schedule

Phoronix: Xfce 4.12 Desktop Release Ends Up Behind Schedule

While Xfce 4.12 was scheduled to be released on 10 March, the release didn't happen and it looks like the release won't be coming anytime soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyNDg

I tested xubuntu 13.04 a little while back which has xfce 4.12, its in pretty good shape IMO. I love the latest version of thunar, much improved. They also finally fixed xfce4-power-manager not being able to adjust brightness automatically on 64-bit installs.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    I tested xubuntu 13.04 a little while back which has xfce 4.12, its in pretty good shape IMO. I love the latest version of thunar, much improved. They also finally fixed xfce4-power-manager not being able to adjust brightness automatically on 64-bit installs.
    I consider thunar to be the facto file manager. It's pretty cross-platform. I even use it under enlightenment 17.

However, it seems that xfdesktop will be merged into thunar as a seperate plugin. Xfdesktop on 12.10 seems to start eating memory at random parts in time while the 12.04 version did not. But, it seems that 13.04 still uses xfdesktop and not the new thunar-desktop-plugin.

Default GTK3

Too bad it wasn't ported to GTK3 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    I consider thunar to be the facto file manager. It's pretty cross-platform. I even use it under enlightenment 17.

Xfdesktop on 12.10 seems to start eating memory at random parts in time while the 12.04 version did not.
    There was a bug that made xfdesktop eat 100% CPU when you use solid background. It's fixed in the latest 4.10.2 release.
    Is your problem related to this https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918646?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtKun View Post
    There was a bug that made xfdesktop eat 100% CPU when you use solid background. It's fixed in the latest 4.10.2 release.
    Is your problem related to this https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918646?
    A contraire. I did find that bug as well. But I have rotating images. I point xfdesktop to a 'static' image location as the only image. Then I use a cron script to rotate the image and do a 'xfdesktop --reload'.

These bugs were also mentioned on Ubuntu Launchpad and the XFCE Bugzilla.

Thanks for the pointer tough.

As for uid313 for wanting GTK3. It has no benefit.

As for uid313 for wanting GTK3. It has no benefit.
    GTK3 is a requirement for Wayland.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    GTK3 is a requirement for Wayland.
    Invalidating my argument in what way?? I run XFCE now. Does not require Wayland.

Interesting, I consider PCManFM to be that.

Still, 4.10 ended up fixing almost all of my issues with 4.8, so 4.12 being delayed does not really bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Interesting, I consider PCManFM to be that.

Still, 4.10 ended up fixing almost all of my issues with 4.8, so 4.12 being delayed does not really bother me.
    Yes, PcManFM would be more cross-platform but last time I tried it was not that stable.