Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 98

Thread: Ubuntu Developing Its Own Calculator, Calendar, Etc

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    366

    Default

    I'm going to say it again: Ubuntu = Linux. You see if happening right here, right now.

    Canonical is making a play to take over Linux development, plain and simple. And I view this as a good thing. With a single, unifying force, [s]Linux[/s] Ubuntu might become a legitimate challenge to Windows/OSX.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3

    Default Unclear future

    When I got known with Ubuntu Linux distribution years ago, it was a collection of famous open-source software, that most of people were happy with. What we see now, is that they are making their own legacy software (similar to HTC and Samsung on their Android phones), that easily can paralyzes their ability to choose the best software. Many consider systemd superior to upstart, but since the latter is Canonical's own pet project, they have stuck with it. Gnome 3 and KDE are not perfect, but Unity is equally "strange" too.

    Well, we have all those Kubuntus, Linux Mints, and whatever because people are not happy with Canonical's way. I wouldn't be suprised, if the trend becomes stronger in the future.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    .. With a single, unifying force, [s]Linux[/s] Ubuntu might become a legitimate challenge to Windows/OSX.
    Not as long as they continue suffering from their Python diarrhea. It's funny how their PR staff says they're so concerned about performance they're about to count CPU & GPU cycles (which is an idiotic statement, really) yet they use Python for core stuff like software center, update manager etc.
    Last edited by mark45; 03-12-2013 at 01:04 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    526

    Default Are you serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Will these apps only work on Ubuntu?

    Will Ubuntu still be able to run software not written in the Ubuntu SDK?
    These questions have been asked and answered so many times its not funny.....

    1) No
    2) Yes

    Source: www.google.com

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Not as long as they continue suffering from their Python diarrhea. It's funny how their PR staff says they're so concerned about performance they're about to count CPU & GPU cycles (which is an idiotic statement, really) yet they use Python for core stuff like software center, update manager etc.
    They are currently working on bringing Ubuntu Phone/Touch up to speed, which obviously will not use the desktop apps like Software Center and Software Update, but expect them to rewrite basicly everything for the desktop, too, in Qt/QML afterwards.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    These questions have been asked and answered so many times its not funny.....

    1) No
    2) Yes

    Source: www.google.com
    Right, all that Ubuntu are doing is provide an API/SDK, and port some basic apps to use it. Simple self consistency. The FOSS world has lots of APIs for app development (Qt, KDE, Gtk, Gnome, etc). This is just one more. If anybody else does it, we call it a good thing, because it adds to the diversity. But, if Ubuntu does it, it is evil, because, well, because they are popular?

    Goggle fscking did it with ChromeOS and Android, and it's all open source and celebrated, at least by me, and they are doing quite well. It might be smarter for Ubuntu to team up with Google and _extend_ what google provides, but who am I to tell. The future will tell. Best luck to the fine Ubuntu folks in this!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Goggle fscking did it with ChromeOS and Android, and it's all open source and celebrated, at least by me, and they are doing quite well. It might be smarter for Ubuntu to team up with Google and _extend_ what google provides, but who am I to tell. The future will tell. Best luck to the fine Ubuntu folks in this!
    Google didn't betray their existing userbase(Desktop users) to target another entirely different userbase(smartphone users). And also, Google didn't create fragmentation in key parts of the Free software stack. They created something new.

    Canonical is evil, it is now official!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Google didn't betray their existing userbase(Desktop users) to target another entirely different userbase(smartphone users). And also, Google didn't create fragmentation in key parts of the Free software stack. They created something new.

    Canonical is evil, it is now official!
    Your statement neither makes sense nor is it true.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    Your statement neither makes sense nor is it true.
    It is true and it does make sense, just no to Canonical PR and fanbois

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    While I am very disquieted and concerned about much of Canonical's recent efforts, this is not one of them. I honestly do not care at all if the are working on another calculator.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •