Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 98

Thread: Ubuntu Developing Its Own Calculator, Calendar, Etc

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Looks like they didn't stick to the concept designs people contributed to;

    https://ubuntu.mybalsamiq.com/projec...ecoreapps/grid

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Not as long as they continue suffering from their Python diarrhea. It's funny how their PR staff says they're so concerned about performance they're about to count CPU & GPU cycles (which is an idiotic statement, really) yet they use Python for core stuff like software center, update manager etc.
    Totally agree, but with QML will come the need for coders to know Javascript as the glue. Obviously there are other means but Javascript is the fastest and cleanest language for this type of work and already has associations with DOM(HTML5) interaction used in widgets and other layout.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    It is true and it does make sense, just no to Canonical PR and fanbois
    I can assure you I'm neither a Canonical PR agent nor am I a Canonical "fanboy", yet I still think your statement does not make sense.

    Google didn't betray their existing userbase(Desktop users) to target another entirely different userbase(smartphone users). And also, Google didn't create fragmentation in key parts of the Free software stack. They created something new.

    Canonical is evil, it is now official!
    Google did not offer a desktop operating system before they developed android.

    How does targeting a users that are not in your current user base equate to being evil? Please explain, I'm genuinely curious.

    Google did fork Linux kernel for android. Android still does not work with the kernel version from kernel.org. I am aware of existing efforts to mainline as many Android/Linux changes but that is yet to be realized. I would argue that the kernel is more important than the display server here. Why aren't you crying foul about that?

    There were other smaller mobile OS projects. Why aren't you saying Google should have contributed to one of them rather than creating a competing project?

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evil
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/evil
    Last edited by jayrulez; 03-12-2013 at 02:29 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    264

    Default

    It's getting to be Android all over again.

    An operating system that is based on Linux kernel but is hell for anyone even remotely interested in actually using an operating system.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Not as long as they continue suffering from their Python diarrhea. It's funny how their PR staff says they're so concerned about performance they're about to count CPU & GPU cycles (which is an idiotic statement, really) yet they use Python for core stuff like software center, update manager etc.
    That has to be the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Are Software Center and Update Manager CPU-bound applications that choke on Python's lack of raw computational power compared to C? Do they run constantly?

    You've made it obvious that writing high-performance applications is not your forte; I'll give you a hint: all of those network-enabled applications are slow for you because of your crappy internet speed, it has nothing to do with Python, and there would be no noticeable improvement if you moved it to C.

    Python would be slow as hell for writing a video transcoder, but 99% of normal desktop applications and non-computationally intensive services/daemons/etc... run just fine as Python scripts. You can even make a full-on UI using PyQt, and most of the time it will be just as fast as one written in C++. Tornado is one of the most performant web servers out there, and ***gasp***, it's written in pure Python, including the networking part of it.

    So please keep your FUD to yourself...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    I can assure you I'm neither a Canonical PR agent nor am I a Canonical "fanboy", yet I still think your statement does not make sense.



    Google did not offer a desktop operating system before they developed android.

    How does targeting a users that are not in your current user base equate to being evil? Please explain, I'm genuinely curious.

    Google did fork Linux kernel for android. Android still does not work with the kernel version from kernel.org. I am aware of existing efforts to mainline as many Android/Linux changes but that is yet to be realized. I would argue that the kernel is more important than the display server here. Why aren't you crying foul about that?

    There were other smaller mobile OS projects. Why aren't you saying Google should have contributed to one of them rather than creating a competing project?

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evil
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/evil
    You don't understand, because you don't want to understand.

    Google didn't create any fragmentation with Android. They didn't cause problems in existing solutions. They didn't bring a higher maintainance burden to upstream projects. They didn't threaten to split proprietary support (Graphic blobs). They didn't alienate their current userbase to make Android.

    Look at what Ubuntu has done: Instead of contributing to GNOME Shell, they made Unity. Why? Why not write a different Shell for Gnome 3, like the Cinnamon project did with far less resources than Canonical? While Mutter is far better than Compiz? There would be less bugs, and less work for themselves, plus they would help an existing community project.

    Instead of contributing to Wayland, they created Mir. Again, why? There are absolutely no technical reasons behind it. Just more fragmentation.

    Google is less evil, because their actions didn't harm FOSS at all. They didn't harm the Gnu/Linux desktop at all. Canonical on the other hand, not only leeches like a vampire community efforts for free without giving anything in return, but threatens to slow down progress because of their schemes to take over the world. The sooner they go bankrupt, the better for us all...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omer666 View Post
    Do they have enough devs to do all this at the same time ? There are projects out there which could benefit everyone in *nix ecosystem and that need devs, who will contribute to this mess ? Miguel de Icaza maybe (ahahahah) ? Also I don't like Shuttleworth saying GNOME3 is a Unity rip-off, I don't even see the point in this statement. I feel that things may go really really wrong sooner or later about these idiotic decisions, bad spirit and perverted politics.
    Well, there are some devs working on the gnome-shell gtk3 mess that is a total waste. Cannonical's direction is a lot better. Even better since they are starting to use QT5/QML as a main toolkit .

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    You don't understand, because you don't want to understand.

    Google didn't create any fragmentation with Android. They didn't cause problems in existing solutions. They didn't bring a higher maintainance burden to upstream projects. They didn't threaten to split proprietary support (Graphic blobs). They didn't alienate their current userbase to make Android.
    No one is forced to use or maintain Canonical's project other than Ubuntu.

    There are many people with many different opinions that use Ubuntu. Not everyone will be pleased with whatever direction the project takes. Some people may very well feel alienated because Canonical created Unity, but there are also many that are happy with it.

    There is currently no wayland support in blobs so I do not see how their moves threaten to split support that is non-existent. Please explain.

    Look at what Ubuntu has done: Instead of contributing to GNOME Shell, they made Unity. Why? Why not write a different Shell for Gnome 3, like the Cinnamon project did with far less resources than Canonical? While Mutter is far better than Compiz? There would be less bugs, and less work for themselves, plus they would help an existing community project.
    May have had something to do with GNOME guys rejecting patches from Canonical because they had their own vision for GNOME? Different projects have different goals. If the goals do not align then it may be difficult to work together. The very reason why we have many different DEs right now.

    Community developed projects are slow to progress. When everyone is working and depending on the same thing, there is not much motivation to operate with urgency. For example, as a result for Mer, you may see expedited adoption of wayland in GNOME (http://worldofgnome.org/working-on-a-bigger-proposal/).

    Also, why are you praising GNOME 3 yet bashing Unity as the means by which Canonical betrayed its Ubuntu user base? They are both created to work on multiple form factors.

    Instead of contributing to Wayland, they created Mir. Again, why? There are absolutely no technical reasons behind it. Just more fragmentation.
    Are you sure about this?

    Also, reasons do not have to be technical. Many people are using one piece of software or another because of reasons that are not technical e.g. Licensing, politics etc...

    In the case of Mir, it is valuable that Canonical can develop the display server at a pace that may not fit with the schedule of the "community". Most projects that plan to adopt wayland mostly target 1 form factor save for a few. Ubuntu is targeting multiple form factors. What if Ubuntu needs to optimize the display server or make changes to it for their products in the future, what do they do? Make those changes and break it for everyone else?

    Control of th software stack is important in the game that Canonical wants to play.


    Google is less evil, because their actions didn't harm FOSS at all. They didn't harm the Gnu/Linux desktop at all. Canonical on the other hand, not only leeches like a vampire community efforts for free without giving anything in return, but threatens to slow down progress because of their schemes to take over the world. The sooner they go bankrupt, the better for us all...
    GNU/Linux desktop is pretty much the same as it was a few years ago and may be very well the same a few years from now.

    Why are you bashing Canonical and not Oracle here? They re-brand Red Hat Linux as Oracle Linux and ship it with proprietary products that the community cannot use for free. I thought Canonical release the source code for everyone to use, so how can you say they do not give anything back? They provide infrastructure for multiple Ubuntu derivatives. Canonical gives much back to the community and to claim otherwise is dubious at best.


    Also, Canonical's announcement of Mir seems to be speeding things up (Again, see: http://worldofgnome.org/working-on-a-bigger-proposal/).

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    A good google reader would be nice.

    They should also create an email client. Thunderbird as the only email client that does everything I want needs some competition (yes, from you too, kmail2). Or perhaps they could fork evolution and make a gui that actually works. I have tried to use it for a while but it was constantly broken and always something caused it to hang.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Google didn't betray their existing userbase(Desktop users) to target another entirely different userbase(smartphone users). And also, Google didn't create fragmentation in key parts of the Free software stack. They created something new.

    Canonical is evil, it is now official!
    Firstly, they never had an existing user base in the form of an OS, they were only a web platform at the time, so you're wrong there.
    Secondly, it could be debated whether it caused fragmentation or not.
    Android had their own in house Linux kernel and frameworks such as Audioflinger (instead of ALSA/Pulseaudio) and Surfaceflinger (instead of X) and for a while, while all the components in the underlying system were FOSS, they never pushed any of the changes into upstream projects or really supported them outside of an Android context. In fact, it fell back on the community to integrate all of the Android kernel changes back into the upstream kernel.
    Now, some may say that this isn't fragmentation (creating your own tools for a specific OS and no others), or it is (not using existing FOSS components) and then many say that Android is evil too (usually forcing you to use their binary applications and frameworks such as GMail and the Play Store, or deal with an almost non-functional OS from a user perspective.)

    So, second point is debatable, third point is just an inane comment so I have really nothing to say about that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •