Thread: Qt 5.1 Offers More OpenGL Functions

Default Qt 5.1 Offers More OpenGL Functions

Phoronix: Qt 5.1 Offers More OpenGL Functions

Last year I wrote how OpenGL may take on a greater role within Qt. Thanks to work by KDAB and others, the forthcoming Qt 5.1 tool-kit will offer enhanced OpenGL support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyODc

Oh this is exciting. I can't wait to test this out.

I think the Android compatibility is killer. Does that mean people can use Android apps in a Qt5 Linux distro? This would make the plans from Canonical to move to UML even better (they could have Ubuntu plus android apps in their desktops)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    I think the Android compatibility is killer. Does that mean people can use Android apps in a Qt5 Linux distro?
    It means you can run Qt applications on Android. It has nothing to do with supporting Android applications on Ubuntu or any other distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    It means you can run Qt applications on Android. It has nothing to do with supporting Android applications on Ubuntu or any other distribution.
    True, but Android apps written in Qt will be much easier to port to Ubuntu/Tizen, because of the cross-platform framework support and the way Qt hides/deals with a lot of the OS differences, than most others. So it's still good for Linux :-)

Mmhm, that clearly must be what the linux desktop needs! Fart apps that also try to sell your info, files, contacts, location, and anything else they get access to.

I'm getting pretty excited about the new QT developments. QT is looking to really modernize how desktop environments access OpenGL features. I'm excited to see what Ubuntu and KDE do with it!