Thread: Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Default Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Phoronix: Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Valve released a Steam client update to their gaming customers today...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMDQ

I should've suspected that Michael masturbates furiously while writing his articles.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Steam Linux Update Supports SDL 2.0 Final ABI

Valve released a Steam client update to their gaming customers today...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMDQ
    Michael did you try to catch the knife while it was falling?

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Michael did you try to catch the knife while it was falling?
    No, cutting some Khachapuri/bread a bad way.... now looks like hand will be out of commission for typing for a while :/

Quote Originally Posted by LLStarks View Post
    I should've suspected that Michael masturbates furiously while writing his articles.
    Yeah, he's spanking it over how many link backs he can get for ad hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No, cutting some Khachapuri/bread a bad way.... now looks like hand will be out of commission for typing for a while :/
    I'm sorry to hear that. May your hand recover quickly!

Hope you feel better soon.

What is the consequence of this new SDL 2.0 for Steam? (I mean I understand SDL 2.0 has new features, but from a Steam POV what does it mean?)

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Hope you feel better soon.

What is the consequence of this new SDL 2.0 for Steam? (I mean I understand SDL 2.0 has new features, but from a Steam POV what does it mean?)
    I read elsewhere on phoronix that it no longer changes resolutions - if you ask for a game to run at a different resolution it renders it at that size and then scales up to match the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I read elsewhere on phoronix that it no longer changes resolutions - if you ask for a game to run at a different resolution it renders it at that size and then scales up to match the desktop.
    Well thats actually a pretty good idea. I have had nothing but problems with fullscreen games trying to change resolution. If the actual resolution doesnt change only the scaling factor, maybe some of these bugs can simply be avoided.

EDIT: And then theres the whole alt-tab dilemma??? What a headache... For the few games that actually support it, it usually doesnt reset the resolution properly... Yeah modesetting in linux is pretty much FUBARed at the moment. Especially the way it is handled by fullscreen games.
    Last edited by duby229; 03-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    But that's not relevant to Steam, as it doesn't run fullscreen (aside from Big Picture, I guess?). The good thing about switching to 2.0 is that it will be possible to use this version even after distros stop packaging 1.2. Not sure why anyone would want to, but hey.