Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE Releases Plasma Media Center 1.0

Default KDE Releases Plasma Media Center 1.0

Phoronix: KDE Releases Plasma Media Center 1.0

KDE developers have announced the release of Plasma Media Center 1.0.0. Plasma Media Center is a new software package built atop KDE and Plasma technologies to deliver a "rich experience to media enthusiasts."..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMjM

Hire freaking designers. Who made those ugly icons?

They are from the oxygen icon theme, which is the official icon theme for KDE 4.x.

Default Core Dumps on me

Compiled it on my Ubuntu 12.10 with KDE 4.10.1 and it coredumps when I start it from command line

Looks interesting, though even as a KDE guy, I'm already totally in love with the awesomeness that is XBMC

Compiled it on Archlinux and it works mostly fine.

On the first run I only got the big icons and no menus. On the second run it worked.

So when I play a video and then press the back button or esc two times or something I get the "main" screen and the video in the background and I don't see how I can get back to the video in the foreground... Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Hire freaking designers.
    KDE isn't a company...

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Looks interesting, though even as a KDE guy, I'm already totally in love with the awesomeness that is XBMC
    I'm on the exact same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    KDE developers are aiming to deliver a unified media experience across PCs, tablets, netbooks, TVs, and other devices through Plasma Media Center.
    Which is an extremely stupid idea. These are different devices and need different interfaces. It's common sense. What KDE achieves is a bad, unified experience for everyone. What they should be doing is a good, non-unified experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Which is an extremely stupid idea. These are different devices and need different interfaces. It's common sense. What KDE achieves is a bad, unified experience for everyone. What they should be doing is a good, non-unified experience.
    Eh.. it's essentially another shell doing media center stuff that has a relatively standardized interface anyway which works well enough for the various platforms. It'd only need minor tweaks if that, it's not like you're doing normal desktop stuff in it... it's media center software.