Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Group Files Complaint With EU Over SecureBoot

Hybrid View

Default Linux Group Files Complaint With EU Over SecureBoot

Phoronix: Linux Group Files Complaint With EU Over SecureBoot

The Hispalinux Spanish Linux association has filed a complaint against Microsoft with the European Union over the UEFI SecureBoot...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNjc

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux Group Files Complaint With EU Over SecureBoot

The Hispalinux Spanish Linux association has filed a complaint against Microsoft with the European Union over the UEFI SecureBoot...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNjc
    This seems misguided - win8 certification actually requires that the end user can disable secure boot and upload/remove keys.

Exclamation WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by sofar View Post
    This seems misguided - win8 certification actually requires that the end user can disable secure boot and upload/remove keys.
    Given the condition you are _not_ on ARM.
    Read up the facts and don't be a sheep of the system!

SecureBoot is stealing the users' freedom and should be abandoned asap; the excuse it has been introduced for is a shame to all computer users and the loose conditions for x86_64 are only there to abandon initial criticism.

Microsoft should have every right to secure their systems as they see fit. This endless whining over SecureBoot is getting ridiculous.

Exclamation What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Microsoft should have every right to secure their systems as they see fit. This endless whining over SecureBoot is getting ridiculous.
    I don't know if you even understand the problem: These are not Microsoft's systems, these are the end-users' systems, and the users are the _only_ ones deciding which operating systems they install on it.
    Moreover, are you suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome or why are you so defensive of Microsoft? I don't get it.
    Last edited by frign; 03-26-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Microsoft console, yes.

Personal computer - NO.

Quote Originally Posted by sofar View Post
    ARM secure boot is something different than x86_64 EUFI Secure Boot.

there are two things you are overlooking:

1) you can choose not to buy ARM hardware that has Secure Boot enabled (there are several vendors of unlocked ARM hardware around, at very low prices). A lot of these devices can also be rooted or jailbroken. On top of that, consumer ARM hardware has almost exclusively been "bootlocked" since forever, and secure boot doesn't even change that.
    2) for x86_64 hardware, you actually have much less competition when it comes to buying from alternative vendors, as almost the entire market is win8.

So, it isn't as simple as you claim it to be. I don't think that my employer would be OK with selling hardware that can only run a single proprietary OS - remember, Intel supports Linux with an enormous group of developers. I don't think that Intel would sanction a degraded security under Linux, either. I'd personally love to buy a system pre-installed with e.g. RedHat that has only RedHat keys, and no microsoft keys, BTW. UEFI Secure Boot actually makes that possible.

DISCLAIMER: I work for Intel (insert standard corporate disclaimer). I personally like EUFI secure boot, because it allows me to secure my system against people trying to break into my system.
    There two things that you are overlooking.

1) Its personal computer. Personal computer means it is illegal to establish monopoly or vendor lock-in.
    2) UEFI secure boot does NOT allow YOU to secure YOUR system against people trying to break in YOUR system.
    UEFI secure boot allows PEOPLE to secure THEIR system from YOU, the buyer and user.
    Last edited by brosis; 03-26-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Microsoft console, yes.

Personal computer - NO.

There two things that you are overlooking.

1) Its personal computer. Personal computer means it is illegal to establish monopoly or vendor lock-in.
    2) UEFI secure boot does NOT allow YOU to secure YOUR system against people trying to break in YOUR system.
    UEFI secure boot allows PEOPLE to secure THEIR system from YOU, the buyer and user.
    This is complete nonsense, and factually incorrect. Please stop spreading FUD, you are completely wrong here.

Not a chance. End user has to have the rights to do whatever he wants with his computer. M$ can eat dirt if they want, but nothing more.

Their systems sure, but not my pc.

openSUSE supports both, uefi and secureboot.

But to install suse, you need to go into windows 8, and tell windows to boot from dvd at next start up.

Pc stand for personal computer, not for m$ controlled system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l View Post
    Their systems sure, but not my pc.

openSUSE supports both, uefi and secureboot.

But to install suse, you need to go into windows 8, and tell windows to boot from dvd at next start up.

Pc stand for personal computer, not for m$ controlled system.
    Completely agree.