Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Heavily-Upgraded Postal Hits Steam

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icculus View Post
    Fwiw, the "Fag Hunter" arcade machine was patched out after the original retail release, because RWS decided it went too far. It wasn't a mini-game, just a texture on an arcade machine. Is it really there in the Steam version? If it's really back, let me know and I'll remove it today.
    Can't help you there, I only have the lgp version.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Ah yes, the tired old argument that tries to make arbitrary barriers onto human expression. Tell me, what does the Mona Lisa mean to you? What about it fulfills artistic requirements that Postal lacks (forethought, expression, message, form, craftsmanship, continuity)? Or are you merely buying these simplistic socially enforced walls and the closed-minded prudery promoted through social conditioning simply because you dare not think of it on your own? How is the Postal Dude's nihilism all that different than Hamlet's musings on death during the famous graveyard scene? How are his observations on all that is wrong around him any different than the Danish prince's?

    Stop being so up yourself that you tear down a person's work simply because it does not fulfill your own narrow-minded rules. There is more to art than reputation and patronage, and you are being too pig-headed to grasp it.

    EDIT: By the way, the ability to offend is an artistic quality just as much as film making you sad or a painting making you uplifted. Again, your narrow-mindedness is telling.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 04-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    How is the Postal Dude's nihilism all that different than Hamlet's musings on death during the famous graveyard scene? How are his observations on all that is wrong around him any different than the Danish prince's?
    If Postal is art, then support your argument beyond the playground "na-uh it's art" derp.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    If Postal is art, then support your argument beyond the playground "na-uh it's art" derp.
    I have stated examples of Postal's artistic qualities. All you have you done is bluster and make sweeping proclamations with nothing to back up your claims. It is you that keeps on going "na-uh it is not art".

    Art is a concentrated form of human expression. Postal is most definitely expressive. Actually learn what art is before you feel able to actually debate on it.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I have stated examples of Postal's artistic qualities. All you have you done is bluster and make sweeping proclamations with nothing to back up your claims. It is you that keeps on going "na-uh it is not art".

    Art is a concentrated form of human expression. Postal is most definitely expressive. Actually learn what art is before you feel able to actually debate on it.
    I'm not the one trying to justify his purchase of postal 2 by calling it art. You are and you have not supported your argument.

    How is the Postal Dude's nihilism all that different than Hamlet's musings on death during the famous graveyard scene?
    Please enlighten us, how is the Dude comparable to the Bard's Hamlet.

    How are his observations on all that is wrong around him any different than the Danish prince's?
    How are they the same and why are you jumping through silly hoops to justify your purchase?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    I'm not the one trying to justify his purchase of postal 2 by calling it art.
    I do not justify my purchase of Postal 2 by calling it art, I justify my purchase because RWS are good people and good developers. That does not change the fact that it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    You are and you have not supported your argument.
    Yes I have, even if you seem incapable of understanding my posts and have done nothing to dispute them other than say that you dispute them.

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Please enlighten us, how is the Dude comparable to the Bard's Hamlet.
    Both frequently muse on the subject of death and our place in society, and both have something to say on how their comparative societies treat the people in them. They both have been treated to unfair circumstances and are struggling to discover the best ways in which they can handle them. Both are also rather over the top in depiction but are still rather introspective and prone to musing, even though I must admit that Hamlet is quite a bit more verbose and long winded. Hamlet and the Dude are also rather prone to sarcasm, passive aggressiveness, and you can question the sanity of both. And trust me, Hamlet was created as entertainment just as much as Postal 2 was. That satisfy you, or am I supposed to argue that it is art in some other way than proper artistic analysis?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    How are they the same and why are you jumping through silly hoops to justify your purchase?
    Here is a definition of art:
    1. the products of human creativity; works of art collectively
    How does Postal 2 not fit this description? I do not think anyone can say that RWS is not creative at the very least.

    Your problem, I think, is that you believe the term "art" when applied to a work naturally applies a sense of quality or worth. Well, art is in the eye of the beholder, and if you believe one man's work of art is not of quality that is a perfectly fair position for you to take. But even then it is still art, even if you do not think highly of it, even if you do not feel it to be "fine art". It is not necessarily a mark of quality.

    I do find Postal 2's message and themes to be of merit, but you can simply see it as a bit of violent escapist fantasy if you wish. But please, do not try and build these arbitrary walls about something as broad as artistic human expression when you have done little to show you have actual comprehensive understanding of it.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 04-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Koszalin, Poland
    Posts
    137

    Default

    I agree with Hamish Wilson

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    I agree with Hamish Wilson
    Why does seeing my name written down in someone's post like this make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Yes I have, even if you seem incapable of understanding my posts and have done nothing to dispute them other than say that you dispute them.
    No you haven't. The ad hominem wrapped in an appeal to authority speaks for itself, though.

    Both frequently muse on the subject of death and our place in society, and both have something to say on how their comparative societies treat the people in them.
    Care to point out where the Dude muses on Death and his place in society? Is this before or after he shoots the porn viewing Islamic gentlemen in the Library? In fact where does he muse on anything in the game?

    When he says "I should kill the women and minorities first" how is that a comment on societies treatment of people?

    They both have been treated to unfair circumstances and are struggling to discover the best ways in which they can handle them. Both are also rather over the top in depiction but are still rather introspective and prone to musing, even though I must admit that Hamlet is quite a bit more verbose and long winded. Hamlet and the Dude are also rather prone to sarcasm, passive aggressiveness, and you can question the sanity of both.
    How is the Dude being fired, unfair? How is the attempt to arrest Gary Coleman unfair? How is his wife shooting him for forgetting her rocky road unfair?

    There is nothing "unfair" about the Dude's circumstances, you should learn to recognize hackneyed plot devices for what they are: an excuse for exploitative game action.

    That satisfy you, or am I supposed to argue that it is art in some other way than proper artistic analysis?
    That wasn't a proper artistic analysis, but at least you attempted to explain yourself beyond an appeal to authority.

    Here is a definition of art:
    That's your problem. The only people willing to use that definition for art are the same people that allow Yoko Ono to dump piles of dirt in a room and continually pay Damien Hirst to view a dead cow. Stop allowing con-artists a free pass because you are too much of a coward to say "that's not art."

    art (n)
    1.) creation of beautiful things: the creation of beautiful or thought-provoking works, e.g. in painting, music, or writing
    2.) beautiful objects: beautiful or thought-provoking works produced through creative activity
    3.) branch of art: a branch or category of art, especially one of the visual arts
    Unless you are incredibly inebriated while playing, Postal 2 does not fit any of these definitions. It is not thought-provoking in the least and no one can seriously call it beautiful, it's graphics were outdated on release.

    How does Postal 2 not fit this description?
    A bronzed turd on a neo-classical Greek pedestal fits that description. That is not art, it's a piece of shit. Postal 2 is not art, though I found it an enjoyable time-waster.

    I do find Postal 2's message and themes to be of merit
    Again, you make a claim without supporting it. Explain the message, the themes, and why you feel they have merit (no, a half-assed comparison to Hamlet is not explaining the merit in the themes in the game).

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Stop allowing con-artists a free pass because you are too much of a coward to say "that's not art."
    Offending the audience is a perfectly valid artistic choice, and challenging the definition of art is how art moves forward. Ask everyone from Henrik Ibsen to Andy Warhol, and many before and after them.

    You don't have to think Postal 2 is art--you don't have to think the piles of dirt are, either--but it's not becoming to sit here and declare things to not be art with an appeal to ignorance ("coward," indeed). Perhaps better said: you certainly don't have to _like_ it, but if you didn't understand it, that didn't mean it wasn't art.

    --ryan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •