Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland 1.2.0 Released, Joined By Weston Compositor

Default Wayland 1.2.0 Released, Joined By Weston Compositor

Phoronix: Wayland 1.2.0 Released, Joined By Weston Compositor

After about three months of development, Wayland 1.2.0 along with the matching version of its Weston reference compositor have been released. The updated Wayland/Weston stack bring many new features to the table...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwOTg

On other related news Jolla announced that their phone will use wayland. (Not sure which version)

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/356034168351756290

That looks good.

Having 37 contributors speaks for itself!

I remember some of use guys having a discussion here on phoronix forums about system compositors and if we need them and if weston is such a compositor.

https://plus.google.com/100409717163...ts/HXibFPyKoEB

This might clear things up.

Now we just need Qt5.2, Mesa 9.2 (forgot why), and well, I don't know if KWin will keep using the Qpainter compositor, that Martin made, but if so, and if KDE 4.12 is based on Qt5.2, then at least KWin in KDE 4.12 is pretty far by Jan/Feb next year, if I've understood everything correctly
    Oh - and EGL-support on proprietary drivers!

Quote Originally Posted by UraniumDeer View Post
    Now we just need Qt5.2, Mesa 9.2 (forgot why), and well, I don't know if KWin will keep using the Qpainter compositor, that Martin made, but if so, and if KDE 4.12 is based on Qt5.2, then at least KWin in KDE 4.12 is pretty far by Jan/Feb next year, if I've understood everything correctly
    Oh - and EGL-support on proprietary drivers!
    And XWayland merged in XOrg. Without that, you're either stuck with an old X server or you can't run X programs.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    On other related news Jolla announced that their phone will use wayland. (Not sure which version)

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/356034168351756290
    WOW this is huge! Ubuntu phone will have a very tough competitior. Ubuntu has the market share, now we see if that is enough. Launching with Wayland pretty much finalized my decision to buy a Jolla phone. It will be a historical milestone in the Linux world. Literally the first commercial device using the next gen Linux graphics stack!
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 07-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Ubuntu has the market share, now we see if that is enough.
    I doubt Canonical's market share concerning desktops will be of any help in the much bigger smartphone market.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    WOW this is huge! Ubuntu phone will have a very tough competitior. Ubuntu has the market share, now we see if that is enough. Launching with Wayland pretty much finalized my decision to buy a Jolla phone. It will be a historical milestone in the Linux history. Literally the first commercial device using the next gen Linux graphics stack!

Linux, Jolla and Wayland are in big parts done by Finns btw
    The interesting thing is that both Ubuntu and Jolla phone (and tizen??) use Qt so apps will most likely be easy to port from one to another.

I personally wait for wayland on the desktop. And Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    The interesting thing is that both Ubuntu and Jolla phone (and tizen??) use Qt so apps will most likely be easy to port from one to another.

I personally wait for wayland on the desktop. And Firefox
    The primary supported method to write apps for Ubuntu, Tizen and FirefoxOS is HTML5. I think Sailfish will be able to run apps for a wide range of platforms (Qt/native, MeeGo, Android and HTML5).