Thread: Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3-1600MHz

Hybrid View

Default Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3-1600MHz

Phoronix: Corsair Vengeance 12GB DDR3-1600MHz

If you are in the market for a high-capacity triple-channel memory kit, the 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600MHz memory pack is worth considering.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18594

Michael, most users are on dual channel memory platforms (1155/AM3/FM2), only few users will consider this blatant advertisement.

blatant advertisement yes, high capacity? give me a break. 8GB sticks have been out 18 months barely barely more expensive per gigabyte for a triple channel kit.

What's even scarier is that dual 8GB laptop (so-dimm) kits are *cheaper* per stick than the 8GB desktop (dimm) with the triple channel kits.

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    blatant advertisement yes, high capacity? give me a break. 8GB sticks have been out 18 months barely barely more expensive per gigabyte for a triple channel kit.

What's even scarier is that dual 8GB laptop (so-dimm) kits are *cheaper* per stick than the 8GB desktop (dimm) with the triple channel kits.
    ...just because it's been out for a year and half it doesn't mean it isn't high capacity. I don't see why so-dimms being cheaper are surprising - you're not paying for things like the architecture anymore, but rather the more concrete aspects such as the materials, the factory, and stocking fees. The price ratio of RAM isn't that great when you compare a 2GB DDR3 stick to a 4GB stick. That being said, SO-DIMMs tend to involve less materials and less electronic components, so therefore they might be cheaper.

Personally, I think we're at a point where we can ditch DIMMs and only use SO-DIMMs. As far as I'm aware, the performance difference is the same and they can both fit the same capacities (though SO-DIMMs seem to be a little slower in adopting a new higher capacity).

claiming 4GB sticks as high capacity? You do realize 18 months is almost an eternity in the tech market?

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    claiming 4GB sticks as high capacity? You do realize 18 months is almost an eternity in the tech market?
    I never said 4GB was high capacity, for today's standards (in a PC perspective) it's very moderate, though, for the average user it is more than necessary (not quite overkill though). Also, if you think 18 months for 8GB sticks is an eternity then what do you have to say about the fact that DDR3 itself was released in 2007?