Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Quote Originally Posted by Banias View Post
    Will it be possible to implement hardware decoding of 10 bit h264 videos on UVD 2 or newer or is the hardware itself not capable of doing this? If it is not, could that be fixed with a firmware update?
    No, to both questions.

Wounder if it could handle it via shaders in cases where uvd dosent support the format.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Wounder if it could handle it via shaders in cases where uvd dosent support the format.
    If it were possible to decode an h264 Video Stream effective on the GPU ALUs why each Hardware vendor use an Asic for this? Of course you can do some Decoding steps on the ALUs but the CPU is Important.

Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    If it were possible to decode an h264 Video Stream effective on the GPU ALUs why each Hardware vendor use an Asic for this?
    Because it is more power efficient.
    H.264 decoding is already done on GPU shaders, mind you. Most recent example is Blu-Ray 3D decode on 6770 with the proprietary driver, whose UVD unit is not capable of handling two HD streams simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    Because it is more power efficient.
    H.264 decoding is already done on GPU shaders, mind you. Most recent example is Blu-Ray 3D decode on 6770 with the proprietary driver, whose UVD unit is not capable of handling two HD streams simultaneously.
    My radeon HD5770 can decode 7 Streams at the same time. Only the HD2k and Hd3k can only decode 1 Stream at the time. And no the Decoding is not done on the shaders.

I have read that UVD on JUNIPER can only decode 1 HD + 1 SD stream simultaneously (for Blu-Ray PIP). In order to decode 2 HD streams on the 6770 (for Blu-Ray 3D) some sources claim that shaders are used[1] while others say that the UVD clocks are simply increased[2].

[1] http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_j...enamed_hd6700/
    [2] http://www.anandtech.com/show/4296/a...n-5700-rebadge

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    I have read that UVD on JUNIPER can only decode 1 HD + 1 SD stream simultaneously (for Blu-Ray PIP). In order to decode 2 HD streams on the 6770 (for Blu-Ray 3D) some sources claim that shaders are used[1] while others say that the UVD clocks are simply increased[2].

[1] http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_j...enamed_hd6700/
    [2] http://www.anandtech.com/show/4296/a...n-5700-rebadge
    After an quick search (tl;dr), i can't find nothing about you statement in this 2 Links. And i can open without an problem 7 HD Streams an play them with UVD without problems. About the ALUs. Yes they do smt but not the Important parts.
    Last edited by Nille; 04-16-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Ok then I stand corrected. Blu-Ray 3D is referred to as H.264 MVC in the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    After an quick search (tl;dr), i can't find nothing about you statement in this 2 Links. And i can open without an problem 7 HD Streams an play them with UVD without problems. About the ALUs. Yes they do smt but not the Important parts.
    Using catalyst or radeon?

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Using catalyst or radeon?
    catalyst. (10 Chars)