Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Firefox 20 Drops In New Private, Download Features

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    What I hate most about Firefox however is that it continuously hangs, and even if it's only on one tab, the whole browser hangs. This isn't the case on Chrome because every tab is a separate process.
    I don't know about firefox on linux (last time I was using linux regularly was 2 years ago, and firefox sucked there), but at least on windows and android, it is very solid if you don't use flash. I would recommend activating the click to play option in about:config.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    What I hate most about Firefox however is that it continuously hangs, and even if it's only on one tab, the whole browser hangs. This isn't the case on Chrome because every tab is a separate process.
    Yeah, it hangs here too. Didn't use to happen before the rapid release cycle. We'll see if Firefox 20 improves stability, because for me Chromium is not an option unless they allow incognito mode by default on all new tabs.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Yeah, it hangs here too. Didn't use to happen before the rapid release cycle. We'll see if Firefox 20 improves stability, because for me Chromium is not an option unless they allow incognito mode by default on all new tabs.
    One important function I'm really missing in Chromium is an Offline-mode.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    I can crash the latest Iceweasel/Firefox from Experimental in Debian, every day. Not that I'm impressed with Debian maintenance that has slowly eroded the past 4 years, but I have even less respect for the XUL world of Firefox.
    I am also a Debian (wheezy) user and I have to confess that I had mixed success with Debian's Iceweasel in the past - basically it should be an identical copy but it never felt like this. Therefore I switched to Firefox and I have to say that I did not face any major issues anymore.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    For Android in particular, the google browsers, whether "built in android" or chrome (they're the same browser with different menus), REALLY REALLY REALLY suck. Like donkey balls suck. They're so damned slow. This is something that really pisses me off, because when you're trying to sell your platform to people who aren't smart enough not to pick apple or rim trash phones for dumb reasons, they'll take one look at the web browser and see how DAMNED SLOW it is, and hate the platform for it. Seriously, google, king of the internet, makes the world's worst web browser for their own platform.

    I did a comparison on some fairly complex HTML4 and 5 sites with android-built-in, chrome, and firefox on Android 4.0 and 4.2, using a cheapo chinese A10 tablet. Naturally, android-built-in (4.0 compiled by china, 4.2 compiled by me) and chrome (compiled by google) feel approximately the same, but really really slow. We're talking choppy scrolling, choppy animations, choppy zooming, very very unresponsive to clicking stuff (buttons) about 2-3 second delay before there is any indication of it doing something. Switch to firefox, totally fluid scrolling, animations, and zooming, and IMMEDIATE reaction to clicks with ZERO perceptible delay.

    I suppose that on hardware that is stronger than a single-core A10, the google browsers won't be quite that bad, but bad enough. Its actually embarrassing how bad they are. Talk to people about mobile platforms, they say they like icrap, you say android, they complain about the browser. If they're slightly technically minded, you can easily say to install firefox, but if they're dumb-ass "normal" people, they give you a blank stare. I could theorize that google might be doing this to PUSH people towards 3rd party software, which makes a bit of sense from a "concerning anti-competition" perspective -- you have the whole platform, provide some areas for improvement that can be filled by 3rd party software so that you aren't giving the impression of monopolizing the position... but dumbasses are dumbasses. They take a bad browser and blame android for it.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kokoko3k View Post
    The memory used by Chrome/ium is really too much (with several tabs open it can be 4x the ram taken by firefox), so it will never be an option for me.
    Chromium used to open very fast in the initial releases, but now is a PIG!

    Firefox is becoming better,faster and more efficient from release to release... can't wait for ionmonkey!
    I have 8 gigs of ram in my machine. At any given time I have at least 6.5 gigs free. If Chrome wants to use a gig of memory by launching each tab as its own process and increase my productivity while each tab loads independently, then that's a win for Chrome any day.

    I used to be on the FF bandwagon, but at some point I can't stand background tabs interrupting my experience in foreground tabs, and that's where Chrome shines.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    For Android in particular, the google browsers, whether "built in android" or chrome (they're the same browser with different menus), REALLY REALLY REALLY suck. Like donkey balls suck. They're so damned slow. This is something that really pisses me off, because when you're trying to sell your platform to people who aren't smart enough not to pick apple or rim trash phones for dumb reasons, they'll take one look at the web browser and see how DAMNED SLOW it is, and hate the platform for it. Seriously, google, king of the internet, makes the world's worst web browser for their own platform.

    I did a comparison on some fairly complex HTML4 and 5 sites with android-built-in, chrome, and firefox on Android 4.0 and 4.2, using a cheapo chinese A10 tablet. Naturally, android-built-in (4.0 compiled by china, 4.2 compiled by me) and chrome (compiled by google) feel approximately the same, but really really slow. We're talking choppy scrolling, choppy animations, choppy zooming, very very unresponsive to clicking stuff (buttons) about 2-3 second delay before there is any indication of it doing something. Switch to firefox, totally fluid scrolling, animations, and zooming, and IMMEDIATE reaction to clicks with ZERO perceptible delay.

    I suppose that on hardware that is stronger than a single-core A10, the google browsers won't be quite that bad, but bad enough. Its actually embarrassing how bad they are. Talk to people about mobile platforms, they say they like icrap, you say android, they complain about the browser. If they're slightly technically minded, you can easily say to install firefox, but if they're dumb-ass "normal" people, they give you a blank stare. I could theorize that google might be doing this to PUSH people towards 3rd party software, which makes a bit of sense from a "concerning anti-competition" perspective -- you have the whole platform, provide some areas for improvement that can be filled by 3rd party software so that you aren't giving the impression of monopolizing the position... but dumbasses are dumbasses. They take a bad browser and blame android for it.
    Thank you! Someone noticed that the king is a little bare on the clothes situation.

    My theory is that googlers either a) just use the latest nexus or b) just plain do not use android. Have they ever picked up a mid-range device and tried to use it? Slow, bad multitasking, etc. Of course, the newest android which your device will never get will fix that. For sure.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Not having to stop everything Iím doing to launch a private session is a great improvement!

    WRT the single-threaded thing I have to agree firefox can be really sluggish on my Atom netbook, even with as few as 3 or 4 tabs. I have less problems on my Core i3Ö

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    230

    Default

    I love Mozilla and WANT to use Firefox as my main browser but I can't. On my Linux systems Firefox's interface always feels so sluggish

    Just open the menus or click a html Select box and browse the options, you can feel the lag. Whereas Chrome feels light, even if in actual fact it easily uses a gig of memory, but anyhoo...

    Hopefully it improves in the future.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    "Firefox 20 Drops In New Private, Download Features"

    I misread that as "Firefox 20 Drops In New Private Download Feature". I had a hard time figuring out how that could possibly work

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •