Thread: Linux Kernel Port To TI-Nspire Graphing Calculators

Default Linux Kernel Port To TI-Nspire Graphing Calculators

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Port To TI-Nspire Graphing Calculators

The Linux kernel has been ported to the Texas Instruments TI-Nspire. The TI-Nspire series platform powers higher-end graphing calculators in recent years from the Dallas-based company...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MzE

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux Kernel Port To TI-Nspire Graphing Calculators

The Linux kernel has been ported to the Texas Instruments TI-Nspire. The TI-Nspire series platform powers higher-end graphing calculators in recent years from the Dallas-based company...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MzE
    Who uses calculators in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Who uses calculators in 2013?
    Anyone taking the SAT.

I used TI calculators loads in school (easy to learn to program and lots of useful statistics and graphing stuff integrated).

More to the point though, why would anyone want to put Linux on one and program it in another language? There's plenty of far better hardware available.

Default Android

I guess a Android smartphone with some calculator app would be a much better calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I guess a Android smartphone with some calculator app would be a much better calculator.
    Probably, but if you're in school it's much easier to cheat and have the actual answers (or text someone to get answers) than it is to have a device that likely can't connect to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Anyone taking the SAT.
    Exactly. No cell phones are allowed for the ACT (which I took back in the day), and there is an approved list of calculators that can be used on the test. There are certain calculator models which are deemed too powerful and can't be used because they provide an unfair advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Exactly. No cell phones are allowed for the ACT (which I took back in the day), and there is an approved list of calculators that can be used on the test. There are certain calculator models which are deemed too powerful and can't be used because they provide an unfair advantage.
    I'm sure the NSpire series models would pretty much fall into the "too powerful" category...my old TI83+ still can dish it out though. To me porting Linux to a TI calculator sounds more like a "bored hobbyist" project, but I'd like to wonder what the end result would be like maybe writing your calculator's programs in Python or Perl?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I'm sure the NSpire series models would pretty much fall into the "too powerful" category...
    I think they usually only have problems if it has a full keyboard or touch screen (or a dictionary or internet access).