Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,373

    Default Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

    Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

    The Weston compositor to Wayland now has an early color management framework...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MzQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    So what is left on there todo list now?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,861

    Default

    Maximize and Minimize are still being written last I checked. Beyond that I dont know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    So what is left on there todo list now?
    And note too that this is Weston, not core Wayland. As such, this isn't directly applicable to getting a real desktop (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc) working on Wayland, since they'll probably not be using Weston. I'd look at this an experiment in how colour management should be implemented in the Wayland world - useful, but not real progress.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    So what is left on there todo list now?
    the to do list is largely outside of wayland. GTK and Qt support and the window managers. Am I only holding my breath until they ship it at default in a major distro with xwayland. After that its a slow transition, because most apps are not gtk3 or qt5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    So what is left on there todo list now?
    Having the KDE and Gnome projects making their own Wayland compositors and having a massive interoperability test to check that a KDE application/Gnome application works with the Gnome/KDE server?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renox View Post
    Having the KDE and Gnome projects making their own Wayland compositors and having a massive interoperability test to check that a KDE application/Gnome application works with the Gnome/KDE server?
    Haven't they implemented tests for this?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Haven't they implemented tests for this?
    An X11 window manager is different from a Wayland display server.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renox View Post
    ...having a massive interoperability test to check that a KDE application/Gnome application works with the Gnome/KDE server?
    Why would that be necesasry? Both would still use the libwayland-server and libwayland-client libaries that implement the actual protocol. Also considering that Wayland forces the clients to do pretty much everything client side I wouldn't imagine there being much difference between Wayland compositors from application's point of view.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Why would that be necesasry? Both would still use the libwayland-server and libwayland-client libaries that implement the actual protocol.
    It implement a part of the protocols needed between the client and the server, there are other protocols (shell).


    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Also considering that Wayland forces the clients to do pretty much everything client side I wouldn't imagine there being much difference between Wayland compositors from application's point of view.
    Uh? Both things are wrong:
    1) many things are made server side: for example Weston moves windows server side (the client doesn't even know where its windows are on the screen!)
    2) an example of a difference: KWin's main developer plans to use server side decoration whereas with Weston it's client side decoration, not much difference eh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •