Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

Default Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

The Weston compositor to Wayland now has an early color management framework...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0MzQ

So what is left on there todo list now?

Maximize and Minimize are still being written last I checked. Beyond that I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    And note too that this is Weston, not core Wayland. As such, this isn't directly applicable to getting a real desktop (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc) working on Wayland, since they'll probably not be using Weston. I'd look at this an experiment in how colour management should be implemented in the Wayland world - useful, but not real progress.

the to do list is largely outside of wayland. GTK and Qt support and the window managers. Am I only holding my breath until they ship it at default in a major distro with xwayland. After that its a slow transition, because most apps are not gtk3 or qt5

Having the KDE and Gnome projects making their own Wayland compositors and having a massive interoperability test to check that a KDE application/Gnome application works with the Gnome/KDE server?

Quote Originally Posted by renox View Post
    Having the KDE and Gnome projects making their own Wayland compositors and having a massive interoperability test to check that a KDE application/Gnome application works with the Gnome/KDE server?
    Haven't they implemented tests for this?

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Haven't they implemented tests for this?
    An X11 window manager is different from a Wayland display server.

Quote Originally Posted by renox View Post
    ...having a massive interoperability test to check that a KDE application/Gnome application works with the Gnome/KDE server?
    Why would that be necesasry? Both would still use the libwayland-server and libwayland-client libaries that implement the actual protocol. Also considering that Wayland forces the clients to do pretty much everything client side I wouldn't imagine there being much difference between Wayland compositors from application's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Why would that be necesasry? Both would still use the libwayland-server and libwayland-client libaries that implement the actual protocol.
    It implement a part of the protocols needed between the client and the server, there are other protocols (shell).

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Also considering that Wayland forces the clients to do pretty much everything client side I wouldn't imagine there being much difference between Wayland compositors from application's point of view.
    Uh? Both things are wrong:
    1) many things are made server side: for example Weston moves windows server side (the client doesn't even know where its windows are on the screen!)
    2) an example of a difference: KWin's main developer plans to use server side decoration whereas with Weston it's client side decoration, not much difference eh?