Thread: LLVM May Get A TGSI Gallium3D Compiler Back-End

Default LLVM May Get A TGSI Gallium3D Compiler Back-End

Phoronix: LLVM May Get A TGSI Gallium3D Compiler Back-End

A proposal has been made to develop a new LLVM compiler back-end that would generate TGSI instructions, the intermediate representation used by Mesa's Gallium3D drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0NDA

I'm not quite sure I understand the implications of this, does this mean that I can compile say C++ code to run on the GPU perhaps with some caveats as to how things must be coded, or is this just for openCL and DirectCompute and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    I'm not quite sure I understand the implications of this, does this mean that I can compile say C++ code to run on the GPU perhaps with some caveats as to how things must be coded, or is this just for openCL and DirectCompute and such?
    I up that question.

Are we talking about all frontends of LLVM to one back end producing TSGI. Or its targeted for OpenCL?

Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    I up that question.

Are we talking about all frontends of LLVM to one back end producing TSGI. Or its targeted for OpenCL?
    TGSI is just an intermediate representation, an interface for an uniform calling-infrastructure. This means, that implementing OpenCL and especially GLSL will become much easier, because TSGI would be the only interface that would have to be developed for in this specified case.

Of course, in regards to LLVM, this makes only sense as a backend when we are talking about Gallium opcodes and libraries using them and not about C++ itself.
    Last edited by frign; 04-05-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    With some additional work, sure. The C/C++ frontend has some requirements of the backend, but a modified C/C++ frontend could be made to work, similar to CUDA. It would also allow for an easier AMP implementation when using Gallium3D, which would be fucking amazing.