Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dell/Alienware Introduce Linux Gaming PC

Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    Only total power consumption to complete same task in Watt-hours is important. Maximal power consumption doesn't matter.
    No.

Only total power consumption in a given time frame while completing a the same number of tasks is important. You don't shut down your computer as soon as it is idle... That's true for desktop (PC is on while you are in front of it, doesn't matter what percentage of the time it is running at 100% CPU) and for server (obviously up all the time).
    And if you do the maths in the article, the lower TPD versions all beat the others in total wattage when counting that way.

The way they count in the silent PC article is completely retarded.

Note: contrary to these, arm processors have almost 0W idle, so it's different for them

Quote Originally Posted by Zakhar View Post
    Yes and no...

What's good is that, for once, we can compare real prices, and compute the price of Windows pre-installed.

But then, as usual, it is a scam (for high end machines)

1st configuration : Ubuntu is 100$ less
    2nd configuration : Ubuntu is 50$ less due to the "savings" on the Windows model
    3rd and 4th Ubuntu configuration don't have the equivalent Windows configuration.

But we can see that the 3rd configuration for Windows is the same as the 4th Ubuntu config, but with a 2TB disk instead of a 1TB, and at the same price due to "savings" -200$- again on the Windows config.

So, scam again... because if you need that 4th Ubuntu config and have 1049$ to spend, you'd better buy the Windows version and remove the useless O.S. (or get it refund if your country laws allows -France for ex.-) because you get an extra 1TB of disk for free.

As already said above, good gesture from Dell, but we expect better... or should we from an enterprise that accepted a big "loan" from Microsoft?

P.S.: note that all these Windows config are advertised with Windows 7. Glad to see how W8 is successful!
    Well previously we have seen them having either same or even higher prices on the Ubuntu models compared to the one with Windows.

But a shame about the 4th config still being in this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Mentioning that "it's not even needed in the first place" would have an even better effect...
    You'd think, but you'd be surprised how many people are so conditioned to the idea that "a computer MUST have antivirus or horrible things happen"... even on some Linux forums there are people asking about which antivirus they should install, even though those programs only catch windows viruses. Try telling them that the antivirus isn't needed and they'll just stare at you blankly, or whatever the equivalent is in the online world...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's much over 25, unless they are not counting indie games.
    Just to name some game counts that are current as of this moment:
    Steam: 97 games
    Desura: 268 games
    Ubuntu Software Center: 753 games

I'm pretty sure it is the Steam count from just around the release.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is the Steam count from just around the release.
    Steam for Linux was around 80 or so games when it was officially released. Even back in early Jan. it was already over 40 games. Hard to think when they could of picked that number out of the air, maybe when the beta was first started? I think when I got in the beta back in early Dec. it was already well over 25 games.

It could be it possibly comes with 25 games pre-installed, random free stuff and/or maybe demos from the repos.

I have the i7 with the 660 GTX. I opted for the 660 instead of the 680 for price.

I was in the secound closed beta so could just be my faulty memory, but would be cool if it came with preinstalled games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    99.9% of them suck ass
    Most of the Steam titles I own and have played have been pretty solid and fun (roughly half of what is currently available for Linux). Desura has a lot more crap I couldn't be bothered with, and USC even more so, but each have a good selection of worthy titles for those willing to dig around a bit.

look the windows one is on sale so it costs pretty much the same as the linux one

lol fail
    The real fail would be buying from Dell in the first place.

r u sure u should be betting on games to hype linux to the people

WWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONN NNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

how about 'hey no longer needing to run shit like eset or symantec or having to deal with trojans/virus/malware and be able to go online and feel relatively safe' ?
    Who's hyping? Listing game availability numbers to a primarily Linux using readership hardly counts as Linux evangelism.

Surfing the web on Linux can still offer plenty of opportunities for the stupid and gullable to have their system compromised; just using Linux isn't enough to make your system bulletproof, though it is an easy first step towards that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    You'd think, but you'd be surprised how many people are so conditioned to the idea that "a computer MUST have antivirus or horrible things happen"... even on some Linux forums there are people asking about which antivirus they should install, even though those programs only catch windows viruses. Try telling them that the antivirus isn't needed and they'll just stare at you blankly, or whatever the equivalent is in the online world...
    Well, everyone that I told about Linux not needing anti-virus software were amazed at the idea.