Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

Hybrid View

Default Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

Jolla, the start-up company built around former Nokia N9 engineers developing the Sailfish OS for mobile phones, might be dating Wayland. Jolla's Chief Research Engineer has made it possible to run Wayland atop Android GPU drivers. Additionally, it's being done with glibc rather than Android's Bionic libc derivative...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0OTE

probably wrong but feels a bit that Mir was the wakeup call that Wayland needed. Now keep the momentum

Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post
    probably wrong but feels a bit that Mir was the wakeup call that Wayland needed. Now keep the momentum
    You need to read the blog post. This is the guy who developed the android interface that Mir is using. And it was not intended for Mir, Canonical just forked it without even telling him. This was not a brilliant move by Canonical at all, as always is was someone else's work, but as always people assume it was Canonical's because Canonical doesn't go out of their way to give credit to those who actually do the work.

To put it another way: the only reason to use Mir never existed to begin with, and the Mir developers knew it from the moment they started using this library.

That article really made me laugh. Canonical is just pathetic.

That's it, it's decided, my next phone will run Sailfish

Getting unified Android/Linux/ChromeOS drivers would be ideal, whoever manages to bring us that. It should've been Google's project from day one of Android, but I guess it wasn't their priority, which is too bad because that has led to some of the biggest fragmentation issues of Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysto View Post
    Getting unified Android/Linux/ChromeOS drivers would be ideal, whoever manages to bring us that. It should've been Google's project from day one of Android, but I guess it wasn't their priority, which is too bad because that has led to some of the biggest fragmentation issues of Android.
    driver != driver the problem are the driver that are not part of the kernel, eg the drivers that run in userspace. This isn't the problem with wayland as it requires no user space drivers like X11.

Wayland is actually making some progress, perhaps the announcement of Mir made the Wayland guys move a bit faster. Hopefully we will have a fully functional Wayland desktop BEFORE the year 2025 now! I would like to see Wayland overtake X instead of Mir, but seriously it's all going to come down to performance & stability and not open source politics.

But only if the drivers were not closed. If closed drivers goes mainstream in linux, you can also use windows.

Not going to happen.

Not all features from mobile are needed on desktop (OpenVG?)
    Not all features from desktop are wonted on mobile. In fact some are most unwelcome (power hungry ones).

Some well defined and limited feature set that would be supported across devices and gpus is probable though.