Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

Hybrid View

Default Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

After a badly-delayed Fedora 18, Fedora 19 has already received its first release set-back...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0OTg

Default UEFI sucks

UEFi is terrible, it should been replaced by coreboot.
    Coreboot is sane, UEFI is not.
    Viva la coreboot!

and so it begins...

f19 is going to be another fail like f18... I bet 20e that the alpha will be delayed again in a weeks time

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    and so it begins...

f19 is going to be another fail like f18... I bet 20e that the alpha will be delayed again in a weeks time
    I hope it won't ;-) Alpha is pretty solid (for Alpha), except the UEFI bug. We even had possible workarounds (at least for the Grub2 one). But as UEFI is more wide spread, the impact could be bigger than before and especially the kernel bug could lead to really very broken system.

And yes, the main reason why we said No-Go was - we don't want to loose our reputation of slipping!!!

Who the hell decided UEFI problems get to block anything?! Currently its of tertiary significance. UEFI systems are in minority and the function can be disabled anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's why I desperately need a way to install Gnome Shell 3.8 on Fedora 18! Please drop me a link if you you've stumbled upon a set of complete instructions please drop me a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    Who the hell decided UEFI problems get to block anything?! Currently its of tertiary significance. UEFI systems are in minority and the function can be disabled anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's why I desperately need a way to install Gnome Shell 3.8 on Fedora 18! Please drop me a link if you you've stumbled upon a set of complete instructions please drop me a link.
    Bull-freaking-shit.

Any notebook or desktop motherboard bought after 2008 is loaded with UEFI and not BIOS.

While recent motherboards have a BIOS mode (I'm booting in BIOS mode from a mobo that uses UEFI right now), you can only dual-boot Windows and Linux if they both use the same booting system (e.g. cannot boot UEFI Windows and BIOS Linux). I don't dual-boot, but some people do.

That's exactly my problem. Normally I wouldn't care since I'm quite happy with my F18 box but having to wait over 3 months to get Gnome 3.8 is ridiculous, so out of sync one of the teams should reconsider things. Assuming that this won't be the only delay the release will get even further closer to 3.10. I'm thinking of trying OpenSUSE when the time comes to update my OS. Apart from yast and its microcosm should I expect any other huge changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    and so it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Marquita1dez View Post
    Ummm.... ?

Per original comment: What would you prefer broken OS released on time or working OS* released a couple of weeks (...) after the original release schedule?

- Gilboa
    * Actually, at least in my case (on 20+ machines), once you actually install it, F18 is quite stable. Granted, getting it installed was, err, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    Ummm.... ?
    Please don't quote spam bots...