Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,652

    Default AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

    Phoronix: AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

    For being a project that's just a few months old and up until recently wasn't touched by BSD developers, the port of the open-source AMD Radeon kernel mode-setting driver from the Linux kernel to FreeBSD kernel is progressing nicely...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1MDg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Why the hell is there so many articles about this all repeating the same thing? As if it makes a big deal and it's going to effect alot of people.

    No one's going to use it, they rather use KMS on Linux and by the way, Intel KMS on FreeBSD is a complete failure. Users report that doing startx just causes a blank screen with the only way to recover is to reboot. I went through all the torture to tried it myself while nearly commiting sucide just to have the same thing happen. BSD cunts are a bunch of Crap

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    And BTW I deleted FreeBSD from my test computer. The moment it was gone from the hard drive (replaced with linux), I suddenly felt alot better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74

    Default

    I have had no problems with intel kms on my labtop with pc-bsd.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Hello Michael Larabel!

    First, thank you very much for the regular articles on Phoronix!

    I would like to correct one fact: the FreeBSD Foundation doesn't sponsor me to port the Radeon KMS driver, I'm doing this on my free time. However, the Foundation recently hired Konstantin Belousov, the developer who ported Intel KMS driver and the TTM memory manager, though I don't know if he was paid when he did the TTM port.

    Regarding the status update I post on the FreeBSD wiki, I don't put much technical details. Would it be useful to you and Phoronix readers if I tell more?

    --
    Jean-Sébastien Pédron

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    Hello Michael Larabel!

    First, thank you very much for the regular articles on Phoronix!

    I would like to correct one fact: the FreeBSD Foundation doesn't sponsor me to port the Radeon KMS driver, I'm doing this on my free time. However, the Foundation recently hired Konstantin Belousov, the developer who ported Intel KMS driver and the TTM memory manager, though I don't know if he was paid when he did the TTM port.

    Regarding the status update I post on the FreeBSD wiki, I don't put much technical details. Would it be useful to you and Phoronix readers if I tell more?

    --
    Jean-Sébastien Pédron
    I am definitely interested. Thanks for your work.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crapI3SD View Post
    Thus linking KMS driver to Linux GPLs the KMS driver.
    Doesn't work like that. If you distribute a kernel binary which includes the KMS driver then you need to provide or offer source code for the KMS driver (along with all the other source used to make the kernel binary) but the license of the KMS driver itself is not affected.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crapI3SD View Post
    I disagree, what lesterchester is saying here is pretty much well known and sensible. By taking KMS drivers from Linux, libel and Pedron are actually stealing GPLed code. Here's why:

    -KMS driver is MIT licensed
    -Linux kernel is GPLed
    -Thus linking KMS driver to Linux GPLs the KMS driver.
    -KMS (now GPLed) is taken from Linux and placed in BSD code as BSD licensed and thus violating the GPL.
    -Thus libel and Pedron are in fact thieves and violating the GPL.

    libel and Pedron are the ones that can be sued for damages they caused to the Linux foundation. they should be the ones who must be careful.
    Yeah doesn't actually work like that... the GPL viral nature only applies for distribution. KMS is still MIT licensed even though once upon a time it was included in a GPL product, because it was technically a separate project. MIT license is BSD-like, BSD is BSD licensed, Pedron is more than welcome to take that MIT licensed code and put into FreeBSD.

    Btw, Crap, you could be sued in most of the modern world. Even the USA with its Free Speech laws still has laws on slander. For whatever reason you dont want to use BSD or BSD code, good for you. But keep your mouth shut about this whole 'commit suicide' crap.

    Michael, its yours and the other Mod's duties to keep order on these boards. You've apparently banned at least one because I've stopped seeing "BSDSucksAss" or whatever his name was. Start issuing warnings to the rest of these blatant, degenerate trolls, and if they don't get their acts together start banning them. Make an example of them so that others realize that this isn't the place for flames or slander or anything else. Want to talk and voice your opinion? Fine, but if you can't be respectful at the same time then keep your mouth shut.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crapI3SD View Post
    I disagree, what lesterchester is saying here is pretty much well known and sensible. By taking KMS drivers from Linux, libel and Pedron are actually stealing GPLed code. Here's why:

    -KMS driver is MIT licensed
    -Linux kernel is GPLed
    -Thus linking KMS driver to Linux GPLs the KMS driver.
    -KMS (now GPLed) is taken from Linux and placed in BSD code as BSD licensed and thus violating the GPL.
    -Thus libel and Pedron are in fact thieves and violating the GPL.

    libel and Pedron are the ones that can be sued for damages they caused to the Linux foundation. they should be the ones who must be careful.
    Oh come on, now you start to backup your claims with another account created by yourself and you do it in such a half-assed way that anyone with half a brain can see it. Man, you are so pathetic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soupbowl View Post
    I have had no problems with intel kms on my labtop with pc-bsd.
    Keep dreaming, you are the only one who are making this claim while others including those mentally insane enough to use BSD say the opposite.

    It's either you are a blatant lier or you just have no idea whether you are runing KMS or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •