Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Yahoo! gradually moved to Linux years ago.
    That's true.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Share with other OS

    I hope this code gets shared with OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Dragonfly BSD too.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crapI3SD View Post
    I disagree, what lesterchester is saying here is pretty much well known and sensible. By taking KMS drivers from Linux, libel and Pedron are actually stealing GPLed code. Here's why:

    -KMS driver is MIT licensed
    -Linux kernel is GPLed
    -Thus linking KMS driver to Linux GPLs the KMS driver.
    -KMS (now GPLed) is taken from Linux and placed in BSD code as BSD licensed and thus violating the GPL.
    -Thus libel and Pedron are in fact thieves and violating the GPL.

    libel and Pedron are the ones that can be sued for damages they caused to the Linux foundation. they should be the ones who must be careful.
    Yeah doesn't actually work like that... the GPL viral nature only applies for distribution. KMS is still MIT licensed even though once upon a time it was included in a GPL product, because it was technically a separate project. MIT license is BSD-like, BSD is BSD licensed, Pedron is more than welcome to take that MIT licensed code and put into FreeBSD.

    Btw, Crap, you could be sued in most of the modern world. Even the USA with its Free Speech laws still has laws on slander. For whatever reason you dont want to use BSD or BSD code, good for you. But keep your mouth shut about this whole 'commit suicide' crap.

    Michael, its yours and the other Mod's duties to keep order on these boards. You've apparently banned at least one because I've stopped seeing "BSDSucksAss" or whatever his name was. Start issuing warnings to the rest of these blatant, degenerate trolls, and if they don't get their acts together start banning them. Make an example of them so that others realize that this isn't the place for flames or slander or anything else. Want to talk and voice your opinion? Fine, but if you can't be respectful at the same time then keep your mouth shut.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Michael, its yours and the other Mod's duties to keep order on these boards.
    Using the "Report Post" links helps a lot. "!" in a triangle at the bottom left corner of every post.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Michael, its yours and the other Mod's duties to keep order on these boards. You've apparently banned at least one because I've stopped seeing "BSDSucksAss" or whatever his name was. Start issuing warnings to the rest of these blatant, degenerate trolls, and if they don't get their acts together start banning them. Make an example of them so that others realize that this isn't the place for flames or slander or anything else. Want to talk and voice your opinion? Fine, but if you can't be respectful at the same time then keep your mouth shut.
    I hope that doesn't include me as well.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    I hope that doesn't include me as well.
    Sonadow, you're not being a jackass. You and I can disagree, debate, even argue. As long as you're being respectful and not launching personal attacks on people I don't care.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lesterchester View Post
    Why the hell is there so many articles about this all repeating the same thing? As if it makes a big deal and it's going to effect alot of people.
    Because you seem to like BSD related articles.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Yeah doesn't actually work like that... the GPL viral nature only applies for distribution.
    GPL is viral for freedom, and BSD is fuel for proprietary that is viral for enslavement.

    Thats said, its sure nice that anti-BSD trolls are banned, but its also nice if pro-BSD trolls are banned.

    For drivers, its sure better to use BSD license if it comes to company, because that way the company can offer the driver for wide array of platforms.
    However, if company seeks user contributions, GPL is better.

    All those license* topics seem to have enough potentual for flame and trolling, as politics.

    Perhaps, it would be better to keep BSD as in license, and BSD as in distribution seperated and create special subforum
    "License and Right"
    so that situation is contained and not spread onto technical discussion.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Can't wait 'Till it's finished! I hope that they are using KMS from a Linux kernel version that I was actually able to boot to! (Anything from before 3.5)

    Even if they don't, I'll test it out regardless to see if I can still boot to it!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Thats said, its sure nice that anti-BSD trolls are banned, but its also nice if pro-BSD trolls are banned.
    I'm not biased about my reporting, just saying-- if you're a troll, if you harass people, if you launch personal attacks, if you spam the forums, no matter what side of the debate youre on (even if I agree with you) you're getting reported. Can only speak for myself though, maybe other posters are more biased with their reporting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •