Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Hybrid View

Default Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Phoronix: Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

The gaming performance for Ouya, the successful Kickstarter project to develop a low-cost Android-powered open game console, is rather poor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1MjU

I'll wait until mine arrives before I come to any conclusions. I know that it won't be as fast as a Steam Box or PS4, but that's not the point of this device.

Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

For future references: real consoles do not multitask!

Quote Originally Posted by eugene2k View Post
    Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

For future references: real consoles do not multitask!
    "Good god, people, how naive can you be?"
    Funny, that was exactly my thoughts when I read your post. Real consoles do multitask to some degree. Next generation even more so. Android isn't slowing down the performance that much, particularly OpenGL. Tegra 3 never had a fast GPU, only good marketing and decent drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    What's going on with you people? The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known. Did anyone actually expect miracles?
    ^ This.

I wasn't impressed with Ouya at all when I saw the kickstarter for it. This seems about in line with what I expected of it, mediocre hardware/performance. Project Shield looks like a much better contender for the Android-based gaming device market.

I think the headline here is far overblown.

I was never expecting a whole lot beyond being a decent HTPC and maybe playing some Mario clones.

The only saving grace I can see for them is that they've promised an annual refresh with each new ARM architecture; if they can survive until they release their A15 model then they should be able to pull through and actually become a decent platform for console gaming. But hey, it's still somewhat of a competitive deal at $100 for a quad core A9 system with wifi and enclosure, the first included game controller is like a freebie. Still really excited for the $300 steam box model though! I used to love console gaming on the PS2, but with EQOA dying after WoW came out I just ended up completely transitioning to PC gaming without looking back even after the newer consoles came out. To just have a little complete linux PC connected to the living room tv with the option of playing games in Big Picture is just an ideal scenario for me. I'm still waiting to hear what the advised specs are to be able to determine if I could just assemble my own steambox at the same $300 price point as the "better" model or if buying the pre-built box would be more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by dalingrin View Post
    "Good god, people, how naive can you be?"
    Funny, that was exactly my thoughts when I read your post. Real consoles do multitask to some degree. Next generation even more so. Android isn't slowing down the performance that much, particularly OpenGL. Tegra 3 never had a fast GPU, only good marketing and decent drivers.

^ This.
    I am sorry but as the developer of RetroArch (an app where we NEED relatively good audio and video latency to maintain any kind of decent audio-video synchronization), I can tell you that you couldn't be more wrong about this.

Android is an absolute piece of garbage for any kind of realtime app - the audio latency is so bad that it makes the PS3's 40ms audio latency on the audio server seem almost 'low latency' by comparison.

Please stop perpetuating this 'myth' that Android is 'just fine' for games or realtime apps - it is not - it is a bad, sad joke, and iOS/QNX makes absolute mincemeat of it.

Find me one guy that has something favorable to say about Android from a performance standpoint compared to iOS/QNX- you can't find one because the thing can't be defended. It was the absolute worst idea on Earth to base an OS (INTENDED FOR A MOBILE PLATFORM) around some piece of garbage Java VM which has a bad habit of eating RAM like no tomorrow (minimum RAM requirements for Android 4.2.2 are now 768MB RAM - FOR A MOBILE OS!!! This is absolute insanity).

Oh BTW - since you mentioned OpenGL - I should mention to you that the OpenGL side is also written in Java - as is the audio side (AudioFlinger) -as is the input side (InputEvent service) - as is everything on this goddamn piece of garbage OS. And guess what? Everything you do (whether it is some stupid innocuous weather app - written in Java - or whether it is this crappy OpenGL implementation in Java - or whether it is the crappy audio subsystem) CAN AND WILL at any time invoke the Dalvik garbage collector - and guess what that does to your performance?

Oh BTW - I saw somebody saying that XBMC 'runs just fine on my Android phone' - no it doesn't - the audio lag is terrible and it pretty much makes any movie you play unwatchable. Try XBMC on iOS however and be amazed at how well it runs by comparison.

And no, I am not employed by Apple - I don't like Apple's restrictions either - but it's an inconvenient truth that Apple - despite the douchebaggy company it is - has their shit together on the technical side while Google doesn't. I'd expect the badly amateuristic hack that is Android to emerge from some startup company - NOT from a multibillion dollar company that struts around like it owns the world (ie. Google) while pretending it can do no harm.

Oh BTW - please do 'debate me' on this - I'm looking quite forward to seeing you defend the absolutely terrible runtime performance that this piece of garbage - Android - delivers to developers who are actually going to the effort of writing non-managed code for it - it will be quite amusing to see the amount of denial about this particular piece of crapware.
    Last edited by Squarepusher; 04-16-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepusher View Post
    It was the absolute worst idea on Earth to base an OS (INTENDED FOR A MOBILE PLATFORM) around some piece of garbage Java VM which has a bad habit of eating RAM like no tomorrow (minimum RAM requirements for Android 4.2.2 are now 768MB RAM - FOR A MOBILE OS!!! This is absolute insanity).
    Maybe the ubuntu phone OS will fix that for us since it is developed in C/C++ so no intermediary JIT or VM needed to execute instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepusher View Post
    Oh BTW - I saw somebody saying that XBMC 'runs just fine on my Android phone' - no it doesn't - the audio lag is terrible and it pretty much makes any movie you play unwatchable. Try XBMC on iOS however and be amazed at how well it runs by comparison.
    My Pivos plays and runs XBMC just as fine as any of my iOS devices (all however are far better performing the Raspberry Pi which is running linux). So much for your theory, as that statement is pure BS. Perhaps you saw a version of XBMC running on an android device that did not have any acceleration support.