Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Hmm, I'm not very up to date with the performance figures of these ARM devices; so what would the OUYA be roughly equivalent to, in terms of previous consoles? The original Xbox?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Hmm, I'm not very up to date with the performance figures of these ARM devices; so what would the OUYA be roughly equivalent to, in terms of previous consoles? The original Xbox?
    Mostly comparable to Xbox at graphics, but with a lot more CPU performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    The main reason Google chose Java is because it's easier to code in it than in C++ (plus from what I've heard Google loves everything Java) and that the performance hit isn't that big. It's just a tradeoff so they can get more people coding for it.
    Technically google bought android from a company that already had gone a ways down the java road. I suspect that if it were google today they might prefer the type of sandboxing that chrome does with its pepper interface. Frankly java was going down for application use before android came out and now its pretty much just enterprise and android keeping it going, I guess some academic too. For the stuff I do I wouldn't touch java with a 100meter pole, it never lived up to what it promised.

Quote Originally Posted by philip550c View Post
    Nah, it could do that now, with XBMC for android, it works well on my old phones with worse hardware than the OUYA.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Stripping Android from it would actually hurt it's functions as a HTPC. As it has been mentioned, xbmc already works fine with the Ouya and sticking with Android means that you can still utilize services like Netflix/Hulu and still utilize features that they offer like "SuperHD" and AC-3 surround. Those features are missing on the PC web browser versions of those services. Switching it to linux would actually reduce those capabilities. I've got an Ouya and eagerly awaiting it for just plain HTPC purposes and never wanted it for games in the first place.
    Hulu doesn't have anything worth watching, my library and Red Box does as good a job as Netflix would since where I live bandwidth enough for decent quality streaming is way too damn expensive. I also don't use any first party Google software, no Android, no Chrome and no ChromeOS, I'm not willing to take an advertiser's word that they wont violate my right to privacy even if they are giving away open source software.

Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Gaming history is littered with underpowered devices that have achieved amazing gaming experiences despite their limitations. I don't expect there are too many games that will force OUYA over the edge, but I may just be out of touch with Android gaming. To suggest we should expect something like the graphics we see on the PS3 or XBOX 360 become common on Android in the short-term is a bit unrealistic, although in a couple years things may have accelerated at an exceptional pace.

I think the OUYA has played its cards right by focusing on a low price-point and developers, since there will be plenty of people willing to get a cheap home console for fun, not for graphics. I'm not sure if they would get more business by focusing on high-end graphics at a higher price.
    It's not going to work because the system is probably slower then the Wii in total output, you'd have to go to the Mali-T678 GPU to match the performance of the PS3 in raw pixel pushing power.

It's also not going to work because game devs are too used to having ample resources, they aren't forced to squeeze blood from a stone like they where with everything Nintendo64/Playstation/Sega Saturn era and older.

Its further not going to work for the same reason as the Sony Xperia doesn't work, while there are tons of games already made for Android, they will not be updated to work with a non touch screen device. If you wanted o use it as an emulation box you'd still be stuck with the on screen controls since the emulator would still be written exclusively to run on a touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Hulu doesn't have anything worth watching, my library and Red Box does as good a job as Netflix would since where I live bandwidth enough for decent quality streaming is way too damn expensive. I also don't use any first party Google software, no Android, no Chrome and no ChromeOS, I'm not willing to take an advertiser's word that they wont violate my right to privacy even if they are giving away open source software.
    But you would trust the likes of MS/Sony with your right to privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepusher View Post
    I am sorry but as the developer of RetroArch (an app where we NEED relatively good audio and video latency to maintain any kind of decent audio-video synchronization), I can tell you that you couldn't be more wrong about this.

Oh BTW - please do 'debate me' on this - I'm looking quite forward to seeing you defend the absolutely terrible runtime performance that this piece of garbage - Android - delivers to developers who are actually going to the effort of writing non-managed code for it - it will be quite amusing to see the amount of denial about this particular piece of crapware.
    You make it sound like dalingrin doesn't know a thing or two about Android.

It's a shame though that you can't do native apps on Android like you say. Even webOS allowed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frett View Post
    It's not about performance, it's about content. And, if you have seen the amount of Games and Apps available at launch for the Ouya, it's quite spectacular. But hey, the PS3 and 360 specs are quite disappointing by todays standards also. Besides, you've all had a year to study this, being surprised of the performance is ignorance and laziness; in which case we probably don't want you developing for it anyway.
    How many of those already long existing android games play properly with a controller and don't still display on screen controls?

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    But you would trust the likes of MS/Sony with your right to privacy?
    I never let the PS3 online, the only consoles I ever used online where the Dreamcast and the PS2 for only 2 games, Metal Gear Online and Final Fantasty XI, neither game could mine anything and both loaded their own custom launchers not tied to Sony. Thus the only game company I allowed to have access to my personal info was Squaresoft, for an MMORPG that required a subscription.

That was so biased and based on rumors and not even a single fact that one may think it is sponsored by no other but Steam themselves
    I don't think you have played a single OUYA game to speak about it's performance nor you have done a comparison
    I am not an OUYA advocate but I have always been against throwing stick and stones without anything actual

You have been bashing OUYA since its first announcement as is you did accept it as a personal archenemy