Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Management Code Merged Into Wayland/Weston

Default Color Management Code Merged Into Wayland/Weston

Phoronix: Color Management Code Merged Into Wayland/Weston

Support for color management has been merged into Wayland's Weston compositor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2OTQ

Default Richard Hughes

Richard Hughes is also the guy behind the ColorHug colorimeter device.

He also have contributed to the GNOME color calibration software, I believe.

The bigger news is that someone from the Enlightenment camp expressed interest in implementing the minimize thing after the whole drama with Scott and the rest of the devs. I think this is the only thing missing from having an X less Enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    The bigger news is that someone from the Enlightenment camp expressed interest in implementing the minimize thing after the whole drama with Scott and the rest of the devs. I think this is the only thing missing from having an X less Enlightenment.
    Un-fullscreening isnt implemented yet either (not sure if its on the E side or the Wayland side though...) The e18 release manager blog said they were missing un-fullscreening (and because undoing it isn't available, theyve disabled fullscreening to prevent complaints).

Do you have a link to where they said they'd handle writing the minimize code for Wayland? I haven't heard any news yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Un-fullscreening isnt implemented yet either (not sure if its on the E side or the Wayland side though...) The e18 release manager blog said they were missing un-fullscreening (and because undoing it isn't available, theyve disabled fullscreening to prevent complaints).

Do you have a link to where they said they'd handle writing the minimize code for Wayland? I haven't heard any news yet.
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/009093.html

Rafael is an E dev.
    Last edited by 89c51; 05-10-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    For anyone who that link craps out for, just drop the trailing "\" in the URL bar.

Is Rafael talking about implementing minimize at the protocol level or just at the weston level? Because I thought the wayland devs were still arguing about the best way to handle minimize at the protocol level-- thereby making any weston work pointless

I find it ironic how people say it is a Linux way of naming programs version 0.x for 10 years before reaching 1.0, yet Wayland is already 1.1 and it has no minimize or maximize - two of the most basic functions.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    I find it ironic how people say it is a Linux way of naming programs version 0.x for 10 years before reaching 1.0, yet Wayland is already 1.1 and it has no minimize or maximize - two of the most basic functions.
    You're obviously new here. Wayland 1.0 only symbolized that the protocol was stable and they wouldn't break backwards compatibility. It didn't mean "Feature complete" or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Richard Hughes is also the guy behind the ColorHug colorimeter device.

He also have contributed to the GNOME color calibration software, I believe.
    He's a big contributor to OSS. He's behind packagekit and various parts of the power management stack. He's also, I believe, helping with the cross-distro install system AppStream.
    Lastly, he's mentioned the possibility of a new colorhug. A more professional version, if the current model does well enough (which, from last I heard, it seems to be doing).

BTW, I love the fact that color management is built into the protocol. That should make for a nice, consistent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    He's a big contributor to OSS. He's behind packagekit and various parts of the power management stack. He's also, I believe, helping with the cross-distro install system AppStream.
    Lastly, he's mentioned the possibility of a new colorhug. A more professional version, if the current model does well enough (which, from last I heard, it seems to be doing).

BTW, I love the fact that color management is built into the protocol. That should make for a nice, consistent experience.
    Not afraid to claim ignorance here... How exactly does Color Management work? With Wayland especially. Wayland's mandate is: every frame is perfect. I know this was more meant in the idea of tearing, but wouldn't that extend to "Every pixel is perfect"? Meaning: "Every pixel is exactly how the client meant for it to be drawn." So why would you need Color Management anyway? I guess color management would be useful for visually impaired users (flipping all colors to be the inverse in black and white)