Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE, GNOME, Unity, Razor-Qt Developers Met Up

Default KDE, GNOME, Unity, Razor-Qt Developers Met Up

Phoronix: KDE, GNOME, Unity, Razor-Qt Developers Met Up

Last week at the SUSE offices in Nürnberg there was a meeting between developers of the KDE, GNOME, Unity, and Razor-qt desktop environments...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDM

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I was hoping for at least a fist fight. Some blood shed something....god....
    Or at least Linus showing up to tell everyone what desktop he's using

Finally, something like this needed to happen, though I'm not sure if anything useful will come out of it. Canonical is very narrow-minded, GNOME has a "trust me, this will work" attitude, and KDE was formed specifically because of not liking how GNOME worked. However, it's not fair to the users that things are so fragmented and incompatible because people decide to do their own thing rather than attempt to improve what already exists - one of the nice things about having an open-source OS is you're allowed to contribute. So, lets hope they come to agree on something.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Finally, something like this needed to happen, though I'm not sure if anything useful will come out of it. Canonical is very narrow-minded, GNOME has a "trust me, this will work" attitude, and KDE was formed specifically because of not liking how GNOME worked. However, it's not fair to the users that things are so fragmented and incompatible because people decide to do their own thing rather than attempt to improve what already exists - one of the nice things about having an open-source OS is you're allowed to contribute. So, lets hope they come to agree on something.
    You got your history wrong. KDE was the first desktop environment but depended on Qt which was a non-free toolkit. GNOME was developed as a fully free software alternative but thats all in the distant past. You can have completely different ideas about UI but still work together on core elements like trash cache spec.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Yeah, Schmidt, what Rahul said. KDE was actually the FIRST desktop environment. Gnome got created because the license wasn't up to bar with the GNU standards for freedom.

Let us dump all these DE and start fresh! Unite.

Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Let us dump all these DE and start fresh! Unite.
    No! Unite the standards on similar meetings and let everyone implement them in any way they like. That's probably the best way. One-DE-to-rule-them-all approach just won't work.

I think he was making fun of Unity.

Default Invite?

Maybe invite Xfce and LXDE?

Any standard that requires D-bus is a failed standard.