Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Default Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

We reported earlier today from FOSDEM that Alex Deucher had been successful in getting Textured Video (X-Video) with the Radeon driver on R300 class hardware and that the R500/600 series could even support it in the near future. Well, support for Textured Video on the R100 to R400 has today landed into the xf86-video-ati git tree...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjM1MQ

Default redirected direct rendering ?

I have an R200 and it has Xv already. What's new to this? Does it mean that now Xv maps properly in compiz? (i.e. redirected direct rendering)

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis View Post
    I have an R200 and it has Xv already. What's new to this? Does it mean that now Xv maps properly in compiz? (i.e. redirected direct rendering)
    This adds support for Xv adapters using the texture engine for display and colorspace conversion. Since the textures draw directly to the framebuffer, they work with composited desktops and rotation. So yes, using the textured adapter will work properly with compiz. We still expose the overlay adapter as well however, so make sure you use the right one when running compiz.

Default R5xx support

Dave just committed textured video support for r5xx.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Dave just committed textured video support for r5xx.
    OMG! This is what I've been waiting for. I've been stuck using Windows to watch videos cos of the awful tearing problem in fglrx! What will I need to build the git code on Debian testing? Some instructions if somebody could knock some up would be absolutely fantastic.

Well, i tried git version with new Xv support on ATI 9250 128 MB with or w/o compiz and i got just black screen and no X. Maybe it needs some option in xorg.conf, but i don't know which? Rolling back to 6.8.0 for now.

Does it induces any significant performance changes, for non composited desktop ?
    I guess that before this commit it was the role of the cpu to do this job.....

Anyway thumbs up and have a good time at FOSDEM, don't drink too much beer , it's bad for the driver quality assurance...
    Last edited by lucky_; 02-24-2008 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_ View Post
    Does it induces any significant performance changes, for non composited desktop ?
    I guess that before this commit it was the role of the cpu to do this job.....

Anyway thumbs up and have a good time at FOSDEM, don't drink too much beer , it's bad for the driver quality assurance...

There seems to be no difference in non-composited video playback between the recently checked in code and xf86-video-ati-6.6.3. (Tested with mplayer, video out xv, ~28% CPU usage for a 720p movie with both driver versions).

------
    Edit:

I can find no differences with compiz either, neither in performace nor function. Tested with mplayer -vo xv, x11, gl, gl2:

xv: Works well, but the picture doesn't follow when the window is moved around, nor when using cube rotation.

x11: Works, but won't scale at all. Cube rotation and wrap-around-corner works.

gl: very slow.

gl2: picture totally garbled, very slow.

This is exactly the same results as with xf86-video-ati-6.6.3. My install procedure:
    Code:
    git-clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
    cd xf86-video-ati
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    make install
    /etc/init.d/xdm restart
    Did I miss something? How, exactly, should I be able to notice the improvement? Xv Texture support sounds cool; I'd like to get it to work.

--
    Arvid
    Last edited by bitnick; 02-24-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    This adds support for Xv adapters using the texture engine for display and colorspace conversion. Since the textures draw directly to the framebuffer, they work with composited desktops and rotation. So yes, using the textured adapter will work properly with compiz. We still expose the overlay adapter as well however, so make sure you use the right one when running compiz.
    Lovely! :-D

I'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by bitnick View Post
    There seems to be no difference in non-composited video playback between the recently checked in code and xf86-video-ati-6.6.3. (Tested with mplayer, video out xv, ~28% CPU usage for a 720p movie with both driver versions).

xv: Works well, but the picture doesn't follow when the window is moved around, nor when using cube rotation.

Did I miss something? How, exactly, should I be able to notice the improvement? Xv Texture support sounds cool; I'd like to get it to work.

--
    Arvid
    The overlay adapter is still exposed as the first adapter so you will have to manually specify the textured adapter. Use xvinfo to lookup the port numbers and then I think you can use the port= option in mplayer to specify the Xv port to use.