Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Hybrid View

Default Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

We reported earlier today from FOSDEM that Alex Deucher had been successful in getting Textured Video (X-Video) with the Radeon driver on R300 class hardware and that the R500/600 series could even support it in the near future. Well, support for Textured Video on the R100 to R400 has today landed into the xf86-video-ati git tree...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjM1MQ

Default redirected direct rendering ?

I have an R200 and it has Xv already. What's new to this? Does it mean that now Xv maps properly in compiz? (i.e. redirected direct rendering)

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis View Post
    I have an R200 and it has Xv already. What's new to this? Does it mean that now Xv maps properly in compiz? (i.e. redirected direct rendering)
    This adds support for Xv adapters using the texture engine for display and colorspace conversion. Since the textures draw directly to the framebuffer, they work with composited desktops and rotation. So yes, using the textured adapter will work properly with compiz. We still expose the overlay adapter as well however, so make sure you use the right one when running compiz.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    This adds support for Xv adapters using the texture engine for display and colorspace conversion. Since the textures draw directly to the framebuffer, they work with composited desktops and rotation. So yes, using the textured adapter will work properly with compiz. We still expose the overlay adapter as well however, so make sure you use the right one when running compiz.
    Lovely! :-D

I'll give it a try

Lovely! :-D

I'll give it a try
    I've gave a try, but I get an error during autoconfig
    ./configure: line 20296: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'

tried in ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. I have libXinerama-dev package installed. Where is the XINERAMA macro defined ?

I've gave a try, but I get an error during autoconfig
    ./configure: line 20296: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'

tried in ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. I have libXinerama-dev package installed. Where is the XINERAMA macro defined ?
    I think you need the xserver macros. I'm not sure what the package is called on fedora though.

I'm not sure I follow you on this: you say it draws directly to framebuffer, but then say it should get redirected properly by compiz.. I don't think that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by pedepy View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you on this: you say it draws directly to framebuffer, but then say it should get redirected properly by compiz.. I don't think that makes sense
    when you use the overlay, the video data is written to a separate overlay buffer and a colorkey is drawn to the part of the screen where the video would be. When the crtc scans out the frame, if the overlay is enabled and sourced to that crtc, the area with the colorkey is replaced by the video data when the pixel stream is sent to the output. When you use textured video, the texture engine converts the YUV data to RGB and writes it to a buffer: either the scanout buffer itself or a pixmap for composite. Since the data is actually there in a buffer it can be blended, etc. This doesn't work with the overlay because there is no data in the buffer, just colorkey; the streams are mixed during scanout.

Default R5xx support

Dave just committed textured video support for r5xx.

Dave just committed textured video support for r5xx.
    OMG! This is what I've been waiting for. I've been stuck using Windows to watch videos cos of the awful tearing problem in fglrx! What will I need to build the git code on Debian testing? Some instructions if somebody could knock some up would be absolutely fantastic.