Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,361

    Default Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

    Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

    The long-awaited Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" release is expected to happen the first weekend of May...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

    The long-awaited Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" release is expected to happen the first weekend of May...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDc
    Excellent!

    I can upgrade my work computer, but I'm mostly excited by the fact that testing and unstable will be unlocked again. It was getting kind of stale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Have been using Wheezy at work in two machines. No complaints! Feels like the best version of Debian so far; been using Debian on/off since Potato.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default /usr merge

    So when will the /usr merge come to Debian?
    It is coming?

    Also, I hope they update their Wayland packages to 1.1 soon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Excellent!

    I can upgrade my work computer, but I'm mostly excited by the fact that testing and unstable will be unlocked again. It was getting kind of stale
    By the time Wheezy comes out , it is going to be outdated already LOL. Is going to be like that for years!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Will gnome 3.6 appear in testing soon after stable is released? I'd like to use debian with gnome on my computer, but gnome 3.4 has too many freezing/deadlock issues that I don't get with 3.6.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Excellent!

    I can upgrade my work computer, but I'm mostly excited by the fact that testing and unstable will be unlocked again. It was getting kind of stale
    I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected. Especially now that ubuntu is so committed to (corrupted by) in-house projects, we could really use a .deb rolling release like Debian CUT was supposed to be.

    Maybe now with the the Mir \ Unity fiasco things will start moving...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    55

    Default

    yay my usb wifi dongle will be supported now

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    By the time Wheezy comes out , it is going to be outdated already LOL. Is going to be like that for years!
    i read that as "it is going to be stable...[and] is going to be like that for years!"

    Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected. Especially now that ubuntu is so committed to (corrupted by) in-house projects, we could really use a .deb rolling release like Debian CUT was supposed to be.
    they freeze testing? i always thought it was rolling release.
    Last edited by Loafers; 04-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected. Especially now that ubuntu is so committed to (corrupted by) in-house projects, we could really use a .deb rolling release like Debian CUT was supposed to be.

    Maybe now with the the Mir \ Unity fiasco things will start moving...
    You never actually supposed to RUN Debian testing / unstable as a distro though. They were package repos, that would be shuffled around, hence the freezes.

    I do agree that they should have something continuous that isnt as haphazard as experimental but we can't really be mad that we're using it in a way that it wasnt designed to be used.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected.
    What? How can a freeze of Testing not affect Testing? That doesn't make sense. Testing is frozen for a good reason, making the great stability of the next Stable even possible, complaining about the freeze is totally missing the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    By the time Wheezy comes out , it is going to be outdated already LOL. Is going to be like that for years!
    You are right, you won't be seen as Ubergeek by your Windows using friends when you are not using a rolling release/bleeding edge distro or a distro for which being in the news and release at a fixed date is much more important than being bug-free or stable (like Ubuntu), so Debian obviously is not for the average troll.
    Anyone who actually needs a stable OS will have no problem with older software in Debian (or Red Hat, FWIW).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •