Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Focus Of Wayland's Weston Compositor

Hybrid View

Default The Focus Of Wayland's Weston Compositor

Phoronix: The Focus Of Wayland's Weston Compositor

Kristian Høgsberg has clarified the scope and goals of Weston, Wayland's reference compositor. Now that Weston has become somewhat of its own desktop environment, Kristian has clarified its intentions to benefit future patches...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NjE

Default Minimize

I want to see window minimize support.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I want to see window minimize support.
    Out-of-tree patches are available for minimize. I want to see it too, but people forget that Wayland promises binary compatibility from 1.0 up until 2.0 (and maybe even beyond 2.0 ...) so anything that gets added to mainline has to be RIGHT the first time because its gonna be there FOREVER. So I'm not blaming them for going slow on minimize to make sure they've got all their bases covered.

@Ericg: Do you actually succeed to get wayland going on Arch? Starting weston under X is no problem with the 'weston' command. Starting it via 'weston-launch' fails somehow; the same happens to me as described here on the Arch forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by giucam
    You must build mesa with --disable-gallium-llvm to fix/hide that problem.
    is mentioned as a solution, but won't this have any drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    @Ericg: Do you actually succeed to get wayland going on Arch? Starting weston under X is no problem with the 'weston' command. Starting it via 'weston-launch' fails somehow; the same happens to me as described here on the Arch forums.

is mentioned as a solution, but won't this have any drawbacks?

I got it to succeed on an intel graphics laptop 2months ago or so via weston-launch. Maybe something has broken aince then? what's the arch wiki say for wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    I got it to succeed on an intel graphics laptop 2months ago or so via weston-launch. Maybe something has broken aince then? what's the arch wiki say for wayland?
    I tried today with the latest version with intel drivers. Weston-launch still works for me.

I tried with v1.1. It happens on my Laptop and PC, both are radeon cards. The Arch wiki isn't very informative for now. On Wayland irc they say it's a bug that happened to many users.
    Would you retry with the latest release? Shouldn't be much hassle :P

Out-of-tree patches are available for minimize. I want to see it too, but people forget that Wayland promises binary compatibility from 1.0 up until 2.0 (and maybe even beyond 2.0 ...) so anything that gets added to mainline has to be RIGHT the first time because its gonna be there FOREVER. So I'm not blaming them for going slow on minimize to make sure they've got all their bases covered.
    They should say that major version numbers are incompatible.
    This way you can redo stuff if you get it wrong, which is worth a lot.
    Then X.Y version numbers have Y releases as new feature releases where everything of the same X must be compatible.

Also will it be possible with Wayland and Weston to remove a graphics driver, temporarily use software rendering and install a new graphics driver without rebooting?

... but people forget that Wayland promises binary compatibility from 1.0 up until 2.0 (and maybe even beyond 2.0 ...) ...
    Promising too much binary compatibility would be a dumb rookie mistake.
    People are fallible there for making a system where everything has to be correct the first time or we are stuck forever with things is of course obviously very, extremely questionable.

Minimization message on phoronix:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMjQ

Some interesting comments about it:
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...176#post318176
    Last edited by plonoma; 04-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.