Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Arch-Based Manjaro Linux Runs Against Ubuntu 13.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,616

    Default Arch-Based Manjaro Linux Runs Against Ubuntu 13.04

    Phoronix: Arch-Based Manjaro Linux Runs Against Ubuntu 13.04

    Here are our first benchmarks of the newly-released Manjaro Linux 0.8.5. Manjaro is a promising distribution based upon Arch Linux and has been benchmarked against Ubuntu 13.04...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1ODQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    306

    Default

    So Manjaro is faster for bzip2, C-Ray, ffmpeg, and TSCP;
    equal for FS speed, prime seive, vpx, FLAC, lame;
    and slower for everything else--including GL, Dolfyn fluid dynamics, FFTE, compile tests, and surprisingly large margins on the apache benchmark.
    Which hypothetically means Manjaro is better for raycasting, chess, and playing videos, but worse for games and science.

    I wonder what's making Apache slower?
    It's not FS overhead, but is it a kernel regression, an optimization gone wrong in GCC, or something else?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    I wonder what's making Apache slower?
    It's not FS overhead, but is it a kernel regression, an optimization gone wrong in GCC, or something else?
    You should always ignore the Apache test here. Michael runs it in a weird configuration that doesn't actually test what a real Apache server is doing, in a way that is specifically warned against by the Apache devs. No one really knows what it's testing, it just seems to fluctuate randomly whenever a kernel gets upgraded.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    So Manjaro is faster for bzip2, C-Ray, ffmpeg, and TSCP;
    equal for FS speed, prime seive, vpx, FLAC, lame;
    and slower for everything else--including GL, Dolfyn fluid dynamics, FFTE, compile tests, and surprisingly large margins on the apache benchmark.
    Which hypothetically means Manjaro is better for raycasting, chess, and playing videos, but worse for games and science.

    I wonder what's making Apache slower?
    It's not FS overhead, but is it a kernel regression, an optimization gone wrong in GCC, or something else?
    I wonder if the Manjaro devs recompile their packages... the Arch devs purposefully pull out all debugging support, if the manjaro devs recompile the packages though they could be compiling back in debugging support which would make the packages slower than the stock arch packages

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    I wonder if the Manjaro devs recompile their packages... the Arch devs purposefully pull out all debugging support, if the manjaro devs recompile the packages though they could be compiling back in debugging support which would make the packages slower than the stock arch packages
    Debug symbols don't affect performance. They're only loaded if actually needed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,328

    Default

    C-ray must be pretty important:


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    105

    Default

    There's no reason Arch or Ubuntu should perform faster than one another. They're both compiled for an x86_64 baseline with stack smashing protection and -DFORTIFY_SOURCE. The benchmarks are likely just showing improvements and regressions in the kernel and compiler. The Arch packages are the latest stable releases and the Ubuntu ones are a frozen snapshot of older ones - it's the same software.

    Anyway, Manjaro is not Arch Linux. They build their own set of packages, with their own configuration options and they don't follow the same rolling release policy. Their repositories are organized a bit differently and there are packages included that aren't in Arch. It's not just a spin with different pre-installed packages. It's essentially the same relation Ubuntu has to Debian.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    157

    Wink I think Manjaro is faster

    I have been using manjaro for a while, and manjaro is faster than any ubuntu based distro. I really like Manjaro.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I have been using manjaro for a while, and manjaro is faster than any ubuntu based distro. I really like Manjaro.
    There's no way it's faster at the kind of throughput benchmarks michael runs.

    What it might be faster at is responsiveness, due to less background processes running and less RAM usage, particularly on older slower machines. Perhaps not so coincidentally, that's the type of improvement that normal users might feel - they don't use benchmarking tools to record the fps that their web browser renders at, but they can feel when an app starts up a little faster.

    But the same exact code running on the same exact hardware isn't going to magically run faster just because you have a different logo on the desktop.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 04-25-2013 at 11:15 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    157

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    There's no way it's faster at the kind of throughput benchmarks michael runs.

    What it might be faster at is responsiveness, due to less background processes running and less RAM usage, particularly on older slower machines. Perhaps not so coincidentally, that's the type of improvement that normal users might feel - they don't use benchmarking tools to record the fps that their web browser renders at, but they can feel when an app starts up a little faster.

    But the same exact code running on the same exact hardware isn't going to magically run faster just because you have a different logo on the desktop.
    ok, I have no trouble recognizing than you are right, I was just talking about my personal experience, possibly, for being a less cluttered distro with software than usually I do not use, it feels faster (mi PC is 4 RAM, not old).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •